Can I buy a mask online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swooley

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting certified and I want to buy some equipment. The local scuba shops seem to be quite expensive. Is is possible for me to buy mask and other equipment online and get the correct size. I know that is the most important thing. Thanks.

Maybe you should go to your LDS try on some mask there and if you like any at your your LDS buy that same one online.

On both counts. A) Buy a mask that fits. There are a myriad of sizes and shapes, for a variety of face sizes, and therefore, next to impossible to buy one online.

As to trying one on in a LDS and then buying online, that's paramount to stealing. To suggest otherwise is immature and dishonest. Maybe you should find out what Alex6 does for a living, pick his brain, borrow his equipment, use his expertise, and then spend money on something other than Alex6, just to see how he likes it.

And no, I don't own a dive shop, and I have bought online - stuff I've tried on after borrowing from a friend or likewise.

Aside from Boogies response, which is an ethical one, I would tell you not to even consider buying a mask online unless you already know it fits perfectly. Your mask is probably your most critical piece of equipment as far as comfort goes. There is nothing worse than an ill fitting mask that constantly leaks with you constantly having to clear it. You will be buying a lot of masks if you keep buying them online without checking them out first. There are some things that are just better bought at the LDS, even for a few dollars more.:shades:

Fit is the most important thing about your mask. If the mask does not fit your face, it will leak. If it leaks, You will HATE it. If you hate it you will end up replacing it with a different mask - thereby losing all the money you saved by buying online.

I am going to buy a mask online soon. It's a replacment for a mask that I had for a few years which was cracked of a recent trip. I can buy this mask online with confidence because I'm sure it will fit as well as the identical mask it is relacing. THis is the only circumstance under which I would consider buying a mask online.

Well, from my personal experience...

From all the masks that I tried, and that's about 20 different models - ALL of them fit me just fine :wacko: , that's why I bought one online (btw, couldn't find it in any LDSs) and it fits me perfectly. I guess I have a "standard" face :D

So, if you are more or less sure about the fit, and don't mind sending it back in case it won't fit - go ahead and buy it online.

khel

So if I were you, I would shop around and try as many masks as I could find. Then take the list of masks you like, do your price research, and then negotiate with the potential suppliers. Unless you have special connections in the business, that is probably the way any smart consumer should buy stuff.

I got a Cressi Big Eyes online and got a great deal on it. I payed half of what it sells for in the local stores. Just make sure the mask you order fits before you buy it.

I bought a mask online. Everything I read said it was a great mask and that it was designed to fit my size head and shape face.

It leaked.

Badly.

So, that is in my drawer right now and forever. The mask I dive with is the one the folks at the LDS helped me size and select. It was $20 more expensive than if I'd gotten it online.

$20 is worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom