Can anything be done to lessen air consumption for a beginner scuba diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Proper trim is what you should have been shown in your classes. It is swimming neutral in a horizontal position. Relaxed and kicking slowly. This is buyoancy control and trim.
Buoyancy Control And Trim - Scuba - YouTube

A good diver should strive to be able to do this as soon as they can. It is not related to gear. Some setups can aid the diver in looking like this but a good diver can take any rig and look like this in a few minutes. You were shown how to do a weight check in your OW class to be sure you are not over or underweighted. Some instructors will spend a few extra minutes helping you to see where that weight is best used. I have found that it doesn't take but a few minutes if you know what to look for and make it a habit to do so.

You should also strive to be able to do all your basic skills in that position. That takes more time but not an ungodly amount. Mask clearing for example like this is done in a similar manner by most of my OW students at the end of their 5th or 6th pool session. Some get it much sooner than that.

Mask Removal and Replacement - Scuba - YouTube

The key is to relax and go slow while working on this stuff. I see new divers all the time who look like they are in some kind of race. Like drunken dragon flies flitting here and there at top speed tearing up the water and often the bottom. This is primarily due to having to try and keep up with an instructor or DM who never heard of the slowest diver setting the pace. Or seem not to have.

Bottom line though is that nothing will help your air consumption as much as relaxing and slowing down. It is not a race. You do not need to keep up with anyone. No matter what they say. They need to adjust to your pace.

Assuming you are talking about an aluminum 80, a SAC of 0.9 CFM is not terrible for a beginer. Just keep diving.

Im a firm believer in physical fitness. You don't need to be a marathon runner but getting your heart rate up every now and than may help. Scuba is a physical activity. This may not apply to you but if you smoke that's not helping either.

nimoh is right- it will get better the more you dive. Also, I found when I started diving that I was using a lot of air getting down so I added weight- yes probably 2-3 pounds more than I needed but that helped with my air. Breathe deeply- it isn't safe to try to conserve air- and I think this helps with air consumption. Go slow- no arm movements if possible- and get more experience and it will improve. The more comfortable you are- the less stress and the less air consumption.

Im a firm believer in physical fitness. You don't need to be a marathon runner but getting your heart rate up every now and than may help. Scuba is a physical activity. This may not apply to you but if you smoke that's not helping either.

fitness and smoking do not effect sac rate.

probably in order of importance.

being male/female
number of dives/experience
frequency of dives.
weighting/bouyancy/trim
danglies.

just keep diving.

All the info listed is good, except the one about using nitrox, though there is anecdotal evidence of such for smokers.
Basically, you must learn to relax and cut down all unnecessary movement.
Yoga and meditation should help greatly. Learn to "wind down" before getting into the water, and work to maintain an even, consistent respiration rate. Practice in your spare time as part of meditation.

As mentioned, forget about "skip breathing".
Since I started diving, I now easily get 2-3 times the mileage out of a tank.

Merely "experience" in terms of more dives really isn't enough. I've been in the water with experienced divers, even women, who go thru a tank of air like you wouldn't believe. My guess is these people never really learn to relax.

In terms of air consumption, it helps to be female, but the conversion process is rather onerous.

Size of the diver; smaller divers have smaller lungs, therefore a lower SAC

Women generally have a lower SAC rate than men

Smokers tend to have a higher SAC

BMI. The larger diver requires more O2 than skinny folk, hence a higher SAC

Healthy divers use less air

How relaxed a diver is during the dive; stress or anxiety increases SAC

Exertion; fining in strong current will make a diver out of breath and increase SAC

Streamlining kit and reducing drag in the water can keep SAC down

Flat trim also reduces drag and effects SAC

Good buoyancy will help SAC, as a diver isn’t constantly inflating and deflating BCD and working to maintain depth

Diving in cold conditions can increase SAC

Badly maintained gear; any leaks, no matter how small, will have an effect on SAC as extra air is being used

Last edited:
There are many really good suggestions by some very experienced divers. A tool that I used to reduce my consumption is a "Navy" tool for their new divers. When watching TV wear your mask and snorkle. This helped me to relax signifigantly. I started out watching the new Hawaii 5-O series once a week. Then progressed up to full length movies a several times a week. Once my body and I got use to breathing a little bit differently then how our body was designed for, my state of relaxation increased, my air consumption has improved greatly and my overall enjoyment elevated. Now that I no longer work 7/12+ hours per week, I am looking into the Yoga and other physical improvement opportunities as well.

Happy Diving,

~ME~

Okay, I'm going to tell you what I told both my sons: You're new to diving. Stop worrying about whether or not your SAC rate is as low as somebody else. Recreational SCUBA is not supposed to be work. It's supposed to be fun. Worrying about your air consumption will only cause stress and that will increase your air consumption. Just forget about it for now and enjoy diving. As time passes, you'll be more relaxed underwater and you'll find that your SAC rate will improve significantly. As you gain experience, you'll discover the best way for you to maintain good trim and that will help. If you're using .9 cu. ft., then that ain't bad, brother! As far as I can tell, I burn about .8 cu. ft.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but just get out there and dive. Your air consumption is what it is. Rec SCUBA isn't a competitive sport. If you feel that you simply must stay down longer, get a bigger tank. In any case, just try to relax and have some fun!

Back
Top Bottom