Can anyone smell the air from a tank and determine where it was filled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, there is a shop in our town that you can tell if it was filled there by the smell. The air smells just like compressor oil. You can taste it too, even for some hours after you breath it. Years ago when I first got back into diving I went there for a short time. Every experienced diver I know avoids the gas at that place.

Actually, there is a shop in our town that you can tell if it was filled there by the smell. The air smells just like compressor oil. You can taste it too, even for some hours after you breath it. Years ago when I first got back into diving I went there for a short time. Every experienced diver I know avoids the gas at that place.

OK Rick, that narrows it down by a bunch. We don't have that many shops. :wink:

Gary D.

OK Rick, that narrows it down by a bunch. We don't have that many shops. :wink:

Gary D.

It's the farthest one from you Gary. :eyebrow:

Rick pegged it.

The guy wasn't talking about locations in any geographical sense - air is air.

But if you try to skimp on compressor service (because its expensive) and not replace your filters frequently enough, the air smells like compressor oil - there can be oil in your tank that blows by the filters...and the hotter the compressor and day the tank was filled, the more oil smell there can be in the gas in your tank.

In many towns the guys who own shops know one another, and word gets around. It could indeed be the case that a person who fills for a living can smell tanks that clearly indicate someone isn't changing compressor filters frequently enough. And if they know who that someone is.......then they have a pretty good guess as to where that tank was filled.

Oil in your breathing gas is no joke. There are some threads on other sites about guys who nearly bought it due to toulene and other petroleum byproducts in their breathing gas. Its a problem that people should be aware of, and take seriously.

Just FYI....

Doc

Fart in his intake and then see if he can tell where its coming from.

watch the asparagus... oh wait, wrong thread.

Quote:
douche chills

......?

Ahhh. This is a result of someone that states something that is so incorrect with enthusiastic ignorance that you feel embarrassed while they donÃÕ. This can also be explained as the uncomfortable feeling for someone that overwhelms you from head to toe. You look for a rock to hide under or a way to evaporate into thin air but there is no place to go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom