Can anyone help me choose which used computer to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@GR8FUL
Some divers end up unhappy with a conservative computer, for others, it never makes a difference

In my OP I wrote "I don't know what I don't know" and the conservative/liberal algorithm of the computer is something I had not taken into consideration, but luckily someone more knowledgeable & experienced than me informed me that this is an important factor to take into consideration when deciding which computer to buy--thx dada! :cheers:

So I should probably amend my OP to say that I want to buy a used dive computer that is easy to use, easy to read, reliable, durable, and that is neither overly conservative nor liberal in terms of NDL.

I'm guessing the other big factor is to consider if wrist or console mounted is best, I imagine opinions vary widely about that...

I had s Scubapro/Uwatec once. Nice computer but I never went on a trip w/o the manual.

I bought a Gekko on closeout (predecessor to the Zoop) - It is easy to read, slightly conservative and I can pick it up after 6mos, and work thru all the functions using the buttons - in fact I don't know where the manual is. If you're only occasionally diving, Conservative may not be a bad idea.

Nice thing about the Proplus 2/3 is since they're hosed air-integrated, the computer is also your SPG so they can do air/time remaining calculations. Also there's a new ProPlus 4 out so expect a price drop on the 2/3.

Obviously a non-air integrated wrist computer will still require you to use a hose mounted spg. I doubt you'll find any decent AI wrist computers with transmitter under $500.

Get the cheapest one or a bottom timer or get the shearwater petrel if you want to go tech later on.

When you write "You're going to want to make sure that you can read any computer that you choose", by "read" are you referring to how big the font / letters are on the screen, or are you referring to the fact that (apparently) lots of people don't really even understand or use many of the features / functionality of their dive computers?

Both :D

In the past I've borrowed, rented, or gone w/out a dive computer, but I plan on doing a lot more diving than I have in been (recently retired), so for many reasons clearly I need to buy a computer.

What kind of diving? A $150 puck will turn on in the water, have all you need (well, sans air pressure) on-screen in a more-or-less legible format, and come with a user-replaceable watch battery that'll last you a couple of years. However changing settings with one button is suboptimal so if you e.g. dive nitrox and have to set the O2% every time, it can get old fast. (NOt that more buttons mean better interface necessarily.)

Console ones will all that and also show tank pressure, and in bigger numbers. But you need the hose attached to your first stage: is it yours or do you need to talk the dive op into letting you do that to their rental gear every time?

In low visibility the colour TFT/OLED displays work much much better but they will be closer to $1000 range. Except for cosmiq that doesn't seem to be getting rave reviews. And the battery drain is in a different ballpark.

Hmm, I did purchase my OSTC something something used for ~150 USD (in Norway), without anything to compare with, Its been great to me, coloured display, all the numbers I.find interesting already at the "homescreen", charge it a few times a year.

I later found out it also works with Nitrox/Trimix/heliox, up to 4 different gases on a dive. Point beeing, everything available, but nothing that bugs you before you go looking for it.

What kind of diving?

Console ones will all that and also show tank pressure, and in bigger numbers. But you need the hose attached to your first stage: is it yours or do you need to talk the dive op into letting you do that to their rental gear every time?

Standard recreational diving, nothing too crazy. Definitely going to be doing some LOB trips over the next couple of years. Of course needs to be nitrox compatible.

It will be set up to my gear most of the time.

I had s Scubapro/Uwatec once. Nice computer but I never went on a trip w/o the manual. Yea, that's the kind of thing I could easily envision happening to me and one which I definitely want to avoid!

I bought a Gekko on closeout (predecessor to the Zoop) - It is easy to read, slightly conservative and I can pick it up after 6mos, and work thru all the functions using the buttons - in fact I don't know where the manual is. If you're only occasionally diving, Conservative may not be a bad idea.

Nice thing about the Proplus 2/3 is since they're hosed air-integrated, the computer is also your SPG so they can do air/time remaining calculations. Also there's a new ProPlus 4 out so expect a price drop on the 2/3.

Obviously a non-air integrated wrist computer will still require you to use a hose mounted spg. I doubt you'll find any decent AI wrist computers with transmitter under $500.

Not interested in wrist computer with transmitter--for one it's over my budget and secondly seems like just one more hi-tech gadget I don't need. As much as possible I like to follow the "KISS" concept.

Several people have suggested the Pro Plus 2 (or 3) so I think I'll look for a gently used one or maybe cough up more $$ if I can find a discount on a new one.

My family still dives a couple of PP2s that are at least 15 years old. They work just fine. Personally, I do not want to dive a console. My wife and daughter seem to like it and clip it to their right chest D ring. It is very easy to see that way.

Back
Top Bottom