Can anyone help me choose which used computer to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GR8FUL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the past I've borrowed, rented, or gone w/out a dive computer, but I plan on doing a lot more diving than I have in been (recently retired), so for many reasons clearly I need to buy a computer.

Since I don't need "the latest & greatest" in dive computer--and I'm not opposed to saving money :yeahbaby: --if possible I'd like to buy something used, preferably here on scubaboard's classifieds, though I'm open to ebay or whatever. However, since I'm not up on the different makes & models of dive computers, which have a good reputation, etc., I'm hoping I can get some suggestions from those of you w/ more knowledge & experience than myself advising me on which would be a good computer to buy, what's a fair price to pay, etc.. In exchange for your advice you'll receive my sincere thanks and a couple round of drinks if I should run into you somewhere!

Basically I just want something that's easy to use, easy to read, reliable, and durable. I don't log dives, don't download data to a computer, etc., so nothing high-tech needed. I'm open to either a wrist or console computer, I imagine there are pros & cons to both. Air integrated I assume would be a nice feature, but don't know if it'll be with the $$$ to me.

Feel free to ask questions if necessary, but "I don't know what I don't know", so I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Otherwise, thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Find a used Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for $200 to $300. Big Numbers, Air Integrated, Back Light, Nitrox capable, easy to set, Ive had mine for 5 years with no issues. I let my wife dive it and we had to buy her one too. I just bought her a Pro Plus 3 for $275 but dont like it as much.

Good luck,
Jay

I'm happy with my Oceanic Veo2 and Veo3.

You're going to want to make sure that you can read any computer that you chose.

I have an Oceanic ProPlus 3. It is an Air-Intrgrated console computer with nice big easy to read numbers. I really like it.

Plus 2 on the pro plus 3, my wife and i are very happy with ours.

There are trips I go on where I know I will be lucky to squeeze in a day or two of diving. I don’t take my gear (except for my prescription mask) on those trips. I have been looking for a wrist computer (which fits all of your requirements) to take with me on those occasions.

Although I can’t recommend a particular model - I’m looking at the Suunto Zoop only because the download cable from my air integrated Cobra is compatible- I think I found decent prices on LeisurePro’s website, some being closeout prices.

Hi @GR8FUL

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is on closeout for $270, Oceanic Scuba Dive Computers - Buy at LeisurePro As you do not download, you will not have to purchase the optional cable. You would have a new computer, with 2 year warranty. The new Geo 4.0 model has added Bluetooth, and goes for $400

Before you invest in a computer, you may wish to learn a little about decompression algorithms, one of the real variables in brands of dive computer. They vary from conservative to liberal (less NDL to more NDL). As an example, Oceanic computers run two deco algorithms, DSAT, which is liberal, and PZ+, which is middle of the road or moderate. The Suunto Zoop, suggested above, runs Suunto RGBM, considered middle of the road to conservative. There has been considerable discussion of this topic on many of the "Help me buy my 1st computer" threads.

Best of luck on your purchase and good diving

Find a used Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for $200 to $300. Big Numbers, Air Integrated, Back Light, Nitrox capable, easy to set, Ive had mine for 5 years with no issues. I let my wife dive it and we had to buy her one too. I just bought her a Pro Plus 3 for $275 but dont like it as much.

Good luck,
Jay

Thx for the suggestion. If you have the time, would you mind explaining the differences between the two or why you don't like the Plus 3 model as much as the Plus 2?

I'm happy with my Oceanic Veo2 and Veo3.

You're going to want to make sure that you can read any computer that you chose.

When you write "You're going to want to make sure that you can read any computer that you choose", by "read" are you referring to how big the font / letters are on the screen, or are you referring to the fact that (apparently) lots of people don't really even understand or use many of the features / functionality of their dive computers?

Hi @GR8FUL

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 is on closeout for $270, Oceanic Scuba Dive Computers - Buy at LeisurePro As you do not download, you will not have to purchase the optional cable. You would have a new computer, with 2 year warranty. The new Geo 4.0 model has added Bluetooth, and goes for $400

Before you invest in a computer, you may wish to learn a little about decompression algorithms, one of the real variables in brands of dive computer. They vary from conservative to liberal (less NDL to more NDL). As an example, Oceanic computers run two deco algorithms, DSAT, which is liberal, and PZ+, which is middle of the road or moderate. The Suunto Zoop, suggested above, runs Suunto RGBM, considered middle of the road to conservative. There has been considerable discussion of this topic on many of the "Help me buy my 1st computer" threads.

Best of luck on your purchase and good diving

First, thanks for the reply & suggestions--your suggestion to become more educated about decompressions algorithms makes sense. However, imo life has gotten overly-complicated, and there are SO MANY variables and purchase options for everything we buy in life, I simply don't have the time nor the interest to become an expert on all the things that I need to buy and/or are interested in. Instead, I like to try and simplify life, find others who are educated in the topic I'm interested in, and seek their counsel.

So for instance several years ago when I decided to buy a new home stereo system, I got in touch with a relative who is in the audio design business, told him the type of music I most listen to, the features that were most important to me, how much I was willing to spend, and asked him to put together a system for me. And then I bought the system I recommended. Similarly, when I retired a year or so ago and finally had the time to get really serious about my investments, I sought out help on Bogleheads.org - Index page where I'm confident I received very wise counsel. And when I decided to buy a new guitar & amp recently, I contacted a music-geek friend of mine, gave him my budget, and bought what he told me to buy.

Ideally I know you are right, I should learn more and make my own independent decision on what's best for me. However, I just like to dive and have fun--and while I do LOVE diving--it's not my only interest, and I'm not as "gear obsessive" as others are. So I'm content enough to follow the reasonably informed suggestions of others who are more knowledgeable than myself. Will I end up with the absolute best piece of equipment for me? Probably not, but it will likely be good enough & do the job, and I'll have saved a #$%&-ton of time!

Hope that makes sense, and again, appreciate the reply.

Back
Top Bottom