Can a steel tank rust from the outside in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSarus

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this can happen theoretically but I am under the impression that it would take a very very long time for rust due to scratching or chipping on a faber tank to weaken the tank or cause a concern. This leads to a question.

Has there ever been an instance were a steel Faber or other steel tank has destructively failed due to rust on the outside of a tank?

I am also under the impression that there has been very few if any steel tank explosions.

Steels can rust from the outside in. It's actually quite common for steel cylinders to experience rust under a tank boot. If not properly cared for, such rusting can result in catastrophic cylinder failure. It has happened.

Yes - a tank can rust from the outside in - but long before it did, it would be condemned because the pitting on the outside surface would have exceeded acceptable limits for safe service under VIP standards.

Mike Newman:
Yes - a tank can rust from the outside in - but long before it did, it would be condemned because the pitting on the outside surface would have exceeded acceptable limits for safe service under VIP standards.

Mike, that ASSUMES that the tank is in an area that uses VIP's. In some areas "VIP" doesn't have anything to do with tanks.

Sarus, I wouln't call it a big problem but watch out for older painted steel tanks. I pulled the boot off a yellow USD tank and when I did all the paint and a lot of rust came off with it. The owner junked the tank.

MikeC:
Mike, that ASSUMES that the tank is in an area that uses VIP's. In some areas "VIP" doesn't have anything to do with tanks.

I just picked up a couple of faber steel HP-100's from the LDS. The boot's seem pretty well made for drainage. However I think I'll still knock the boots off on occasion to inspect and clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom