Can a Reg be too good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knyc2000

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advises and opinions here.

I bought an Aqualung Legend (the model without the adjustment knob) and dived with it for the first time last week.
I worked well and breathing was very easy.

However I have one problem, my air consumption has increased!
I'm wondering is it because it is so easy to breath with the reg and I unconciously used up more air.

I wondering whether should I ask my dealer to tune down the 2nd stage to create a bit more resistance so that the reg doesn't give me that much air; or should I continue trying it out to learn to adapt the performance.

Any help and advise will be much appreciated.

Ken

knyc2000:
Hi all,

I bought an Aqualung Legend (the model without the adjustment knob) and dived with it for the first time last week.

I'm wondering is it because it is so easy to breath with the reg and I unconciously used up more air.

I wondering whether should I ask my dealer to tune down the 2nd stage to create a bit more resistance so that the reg doesn't give me that much air; or should I continue trying it out to learn to adapt the performance.

Ken

I'd leave it. As you do more dives and relax with a steady breathing pattern, your consumption will normalise.
The good thing is that if you get into a situation where you need to breath the reg hard, you know it will be up to it.

The same thing happened to my wife's reg when it went in for the first service. The tec knew that we do quite a lot of deep diving so he lightened it a little and then my wife's consumption went up a little during the next 10 dives or so. Then normalised.

I have a Legend like you. I can't answer the consumption question because I never dove with any other reg to compare and I'm also a newbie air-hog :)

I have about 25 dives on it. I was wondering...the Legend has a venturi adjust switch that when set to the minus - posiiton is supposed to help prevent free-flow on the surface and in current by increasing breathing resistance. I cannot tell any big difference in breathability either in the plus + or minus - posiiton. Did you have the same experience? Did it make any difference in gas consumption?

Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

First of all, Thanks Miketsp for your advise, I'll leave the reg as it is for the moment and learn to use it better in my next dive.

Mack50md, the venturi adjust switch makes no difference to me whether it's in + or - position. After a few dives turning it to + position when descending and found no difference, I just left it at - position.

Thanks again for the responses.

Ken

i 'm not familiar with the legend, but my oceanic zeta had to be tuned down a bit out of the box. the servo valve jammed air down my throat. i've read about this and was prepared. a little tuning and a little getting used to the way the valve breathes and i've had no problems with it for over two years now. my consumption did go down, but i think that was more from getting used to it because i wasn't an air hog before i got it.

knyc2000:
Hi all,

Ken

Being and Aqualung Legend LX poster boy. The Legend provides you with a huge amount of air without much effort. Compar it to sipping a milk shake. Get a nasty super thick one that makes you suck will all your might and you wont enjoy it. Get a well make one with the right balance of milk, chocolate, ice-creame and ice properl mixed to the right viscosity and you will enjoy it and drink it all up!

The Legend Supreme lets you get air with minimal effort regardless of depth. Its quite possible you did use more because you are so used to havin to inhale with such great effort that you are "wasting more" than you need to.

Place the reg in your mouth, gently hold it in place and inhale has needed, feel the gas move into you and feel the exhalation in a natural way. The work-of-breathing on the Legend and Legend Supreme is very very low. Regardless of the Adjustable model or the non-adjustable (they are the same with the exception of the adjustment to make it less sensitive).

Everytime i put someone on this reg they curse me and want to buy them.

You would be hard pressed today to find a better regulator.

Breathe on.

Joel Silverstein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom