can a person ever buy used equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, a used reg and bc I can see, but a used wet suit, yikes?!

Like a number of people who have posted here, I have trouble believing that a dive shop would not service something they did not sell. The only reason I can think of for a policy like that is because of brands they do not have the capacity to service. I wonder how many times it really happens. I have seen people post that they have heard that certain dive shops have this policy, but I wonder hopw many people have actually experienced it.

I wonder if it is like the story of the movie theater that supposedly showed short clips of food within a movie in order to send a subliminal message of hunger to its patrons. Everyone has heard of this, and many people repeat it. The fact is, though, that it is an urban legend--there is no reputable documentation of that ever happening.

it happened to me twice, i didnt say they would not service my equipment .
I said they make you feel like since its used and you didnt purchase it from them its junk and may need a total overhaul.
and the price of that is going to be sky high.
I know that most dealers are not that way ,but there are some that are, other wise you would not here so much about it.
even historians say that with every myth there is an element of truth.

Guess i am going to buy this item i wanted serviced by them,from them new in the near future, i have to buy air there so i got to get along with them,iwant to be there buddies
but i am not in denial of these goings on

TAKE WHAT YOU CAN, GIVE NOTHING BACK! ( captain Jack)

squidster:
But what would you do if you took your chevy with only 50,000 miles on it, to get serviced and the dealer acted like it was crap and then told you it would cost the price of a new chevy to repair it What would you do?
would you cave and buy a new chevy?
Actually there used to be a whole economy based on exactly that. Except the dealer didn't have to tell you after 4 years, he tells when you buy it and you oblige by bringing it in for a new lease or a new purchase. The Japanese changed the model a bit when Toyota and Honda eventually started selling cars that would last for more than 4 years / 50K without being one of the lucky ones :)
There are probably a few SBers who remembers when they could tell the difference between each years model.

boulderjohn:
I wonder if it is like the story of the movie theater that supposedly showed short clips of food within a movie in order to send a subliminal message of hunger to its patrons. Everyone has heard of this, and many people repeat it. The fact is, though, that it is an urban legend--there is no reputable documentation of that ever happening.

Subliminals work, but it won't work with the standard movie setup. To function well it has to be projected onto the blank screen between movie frames at under about 4 milliseconds exposure. The cost of the equipment to do that was more than the effective delta in profit over the life of the machine back in the dark ages when I was a projectionist. It wouldn't be too hard to do now with the advances in strobe and microelectronics is but it is now illegal to play that game.

FT

FredT:
Subliminals work....
I don't want to hijack the thread, but...

One of the benefits (maybe) of being a former English teacher is that I got to read many research papers on many topics, and this was a popular one with students. It's been a a few years since I read one of these papers, but the ones produced in the last years usually cited a major study that was unable to detect any effect of sublimal messages on the subjects being tested.

I haven't played in that field for about 40 years. Things may have changed with better research techniques. The one thing for certain back then was that if you could detect it on screen even as an annoying flicker it wouldn't be very effective. Fast exposure at random intervals that didn't interfere with the "expected" screen shots was required to be considered effective back then.

FT

Sure you think it doesn't work, but that's because they give you that subliminal message so you won't know it does work. Right?

And this has what to do with diving?

Charlie59:
And this has what to do with diving?
Nothing. A pure hijack. Sorry! Carry on.

Charlie59:
Okay, a used reg and bc I can see, but a used wet suit, yikes?!

The only used item to disappoint me was a wetsuit. There used to be a brand called "Shark Skinz", made over in Tampa. I had one that fit great, and was worn out. I decided that if one just like it came on Ebay, I'd get it.

After five months of checking, there it was... size XL with the same stripes and all! I got it for $20. It arrived in beautiful condition. I tried it on, and it was like somebody sewed size small arms on an XL suit. They were five inches too short. I told my dive buddy if it fit him he could have it. Same problem. We had a laugh over it.

I put that thing on Ebay months later. I sold it to a guy in the Midwest that was delighted. Good for him, and no more used suits for me.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom