Can 3 people dive as a buddy unit? Odd numbers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three is an ideal number for cave diving. Can't see how 3 would be bad for rec diving as well. Three is also an ideal number for other sports such as mountaineering.

Hi Doc,

I fully agree; if a diver had an emergency, two divers would be available to render aid as opposed to one; and an extra brain and set of eyes is always a good thing.

I think the 3-diver team is often "maligned" in recreational open water diving because the 3rd diver is often an "insta-buddy", and this may cause stress for the conventional 2-diver team (if the insta-buddy does not understand or agree on how to dive in a 3-diver team).

So I think the 3-diver team is really only a problem if the team does not communicate well prior to the dive.

Best wishes.

Thanks guys, I suppose to you lot it was quite an obvious question, thought I'd check, thanks for all your feedback :)
The obvious part is that you can, the not so obvious part is to identify the upsides and downsides before deciding if you SHOULD..

I believe that if the team of 3 has the same understanding of each other as a 2 buddy team then it is much more effective.

In a team of 2 each diver only has 1 person to help in the need of assistance. In a team of 3 each diver, each person has 2 divers to help in the need of assistance. This not only means that there are more people to assist you but in the event that one of your buddies cannot do this then the number of assistance goes from 0 to 1. IMHO this is a huge increase, just do the math :eyebrow:

I believe that if the team of 3 has the same understanding of each other as a 2 buddy team then it is much more effective.

In a team of 2 each diver only has 1 person to help in the need of assistance. In a team of 3 each diver, each person has 2 divers to help in the need of assistance. This not only means that there are more people to assist you but in the event that one of your buddies cannot do this then the number of assistance goes from 0 to 1. IMHO this is a huge increase, just do the math :eyebrow:

Then of course a team of four would be even better, and five even better still.. just do the math. Sorry but thats a oversimplification.
Still the points made in this thread are valid. Its not simple math, but if the three work as a team (with all that implies) than it can be a benefit. However if its a trio that rarely or never dives together and they do not do the preparation that it takes a make a team, then it can be a liability. I think thats a good summary of everything said here. thanks!

Then of course a team of four would be even better, and five even better still.. just do the math.

Team of 2, ok

Team of 3 better...if the communication is rigorous.

Adding a "third" to a practiced team of 2 is a challenge. The two will communicate much faster than the new guy (#3) may be able to keep up with. This requires more deliberate efforts to make sure # 3 is in the loop.

Teams of 4 quickly becomes 2 teams of 2

Here in SoCal it's not unusual to dive in 5-8 ft of vis, with scooters, at night in a team of three. This requires diligence, but it is certainly doable. (Big lights help a lot)

Tobin

Last edited:
I had some not so great experiences with teams of three starting out, despite being a very attentive buddy in teams of two. It didn't get better until I took GUE Fundamentals, at which point the idea of team finally made sense. Diving with similarly team-oriented individuals was also key.

Good signaling lights help, as does strongly team-oriented training.

"G'day, blah blah blah. What we gonna do? Go over there and look at that and those things and this?"
Good.
"Ok how about we get there, I lead out, we have a look around and then dawdle back with one of you two leading, blah blah blah? Is that cool?"
Good.
"Oh, keep your masks away from my fins, I'm not gonna crane my neck."

Although I will incorporate looking to see where we came from so we can get back there.
Very Good.

Greetings Pyrowill and Three divers in a team works well when everyone is on the same page. It takes some planning and communication but I really like it.
I miss my first threesome that I used to do a lot of diving with. These guys knew me better than I know myself and vice vera. It was a blast diving with these guys.

We dove in all kinds of environments and conditions. If there were little to no vis we put one in the lead and the other two used the side d-rings for contact points with the two wing men so to speak.
These fellows taught me the most about team oriented diving and about the elevated awareness that all members need to embrace.

Have fun be safe and plan your dives together with specific goals and task assignments. It will take some time to get the system down and team dynamics are great things to ponder. Good luck.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

3 person teams work well if everybody is working as a team. This means paying attention to the plan topside, being aware of where they are along that plan, remains visible to the other team members (i.e. not above and behind someone), and communicates effectively. At the same time I've seen 3 person teams used to introduce something new to one of the team members, the other two just need to be more alert and aware.

I had a fun time doing a 6 person scooter dive once. What we did was broke it down into three 2 person teams. Then each team formed part of the larger team. Topside we discussed the plan including separation protocol between buddies and between teams. We had a really good dive and it really didn't require much more awareness. When we moved from one spot to the next we got into formation first, then the center team just looked to the flanks to make sure those teams were ready before moving.

Back
Top Bottom