Can 3 people dive as a buddy unit? Odd numbers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Done groups of three many times and it works when everybody acts as a team. I've only had a situation where somebody wondered off once and we didn't notice right away because he was on a rebreather (still within visible range, but not close by.

Speaking of diving in threes with rebreathers, I am about to do some diving in a group of three where the other two people are going to be CCR. I've done groups of three where one person is CCR, but not both. I'm assuming that a CCR diver keeps the bailout on at all times, but in the case of integrated bail out, do most also have an octo for donating to another diver? The other times I've been with a rebreather diver the unit did not have the integrated bailout so this was not an issue for me.

Then of course a team of four would be even better, and five even better still.. just do the math. Sorry but thats a oversimplification.
Still the points made in this thread are valid. Its not simple math, but if the three work as a team (with all that implies) than it can be a benefit. However if its a trio that rarely or never dives together and they do not do the preparation that it takes a make a team, then it can be a liability. I think thats a good summary of everything said here. thanks!

Once you go over 3 then the unit IMO cannot act efficiently as a team. That is why I said that 3 is only more efficient if they can dive as a synchronized team.

We're a family of four divers (two parents and two older teenagers), and we do always split into two 2-person teams in various combinations. However, it's almost always as part of the larger 4-person über-team.

That is, while we're very aware who is whose 1-on-1 buddy, stick together 1-on-1, and routinely only share signals and gas supply info 1-on-1, we do allow the two different teams to wander a bit away from one another. However, we do share the "timeout" half-gas-gone signal between the two teams, and let the other team know when one of the teams is surfacing.

If there were an emergency, we'd have the resources of all four member if we needed them.

I absolutely agree with the majority, 3 can work but you have to discuss strategy before getting wet. This is especially true if two of you are a buddy team, and just adding the third. One of my sons buddies was certified but hadn't been diving in a while and asked if he could go with us. I got the local shop to run him through their refresher, and then we went diving. Several times during the dive he took off to go explore things on his own, which is a problem in the Pacific NW. Viz was 10', so needless to say he was lost to us. It all worked out, and we definitely went over procedures before doing it again :)

aye, three work just fine.

If more people, just break them down into smaller groups, assign buddy teams accordingly.

Talk about separation, etc before dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom