Campng at Big Sur, looking to dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scott v

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I will be camping at Big Sur, tomorrow (Friday 24th) thru next Wednesday and looking to dive. I am without a dive partner as my wife did not care for the cold water in Monterey last time we were there. If anyone is doing any shore diving this weekend or beginning of next week in the area and wouldn't mind me tagging along let me know. I have 300+ dives and my rescue certification so you would not have to baby sit me. I dive actively in So Cal. If no takers any shops in the area that do shop dives on the weekends.

Thanks for any help.

Scott
949 636-8990 call/text

That looks like one of the coolest areas. We just watched a documentary on Big Sur. are there areas to enter on shore dives? I saw that Peace Aquatics takes a boat there and have considered a trip but would rather camp and shore dive.
Can't help you tomorrow but wish I was there. Have fun!

Hi Scott,
I don't think any shops do guided shore dives there. There are some unmarked shore dive spots in the vicinity of Garrapata State Park which is the northern end of 'big sur'. Search this forum for 'garrapata' for details.

I have looked at Limekiln SP as a potential entry point for shore dive but it has been too rough for safe entry the 2 times I have camped there. Big sur shore dives generally require exceptionaly calm conditions for safe entry exit and the swell forecast looks like might be diveable but not reccomended for someone unfamiliar with the sites. If you're lucky, one of the handful of folks who dive there regularly ( I am not in their number) might see your post and invite you along.

Even if you don't end up diving, have a great time. It is an amazing area topside.

Jade Cove is a popular dive site, but has an ugly entry if the swells are up and is very shallow, so surgy. Treasure is to be had though underwater...JADE! Sunday seems to have decent swell reports for a place like Jade Cove. BTW it is a looong goat trail to the ocean. Most all dive sites around Big Sur are strenuous hikes.

Not recommended to do solo, and few folks do dive in that area. There are a few spots I have heard mentioned, but finding a buddy is going to be next to impossible. Check shorediving.com for other dive sites. Big Sur is way South of Monterey/Carmel too.

Poison Oak is very easy to find (As in it covers half the hillsides), so wear long pants and watch where you put your hands and arms while hiking around the area. Absolutely beautiful place for hiking.

Thanks for the info. Seems like diving will be rather difficult so I guess I will head to Monterey for the day. Anyone in that area want to show me around? I would be willing to compensate you. If no takers looks like I will go with a guided tour from Aquarius.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom