Camp Dive Weekend Gear Wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard that recreational diving is a gateway drug to tech and cave diving. Once you have crossed over, there is no turning back....there is never enough equipment.

You know you're addicted when...
You buy a new set of tanks just for a certain location...my new Fabers will be here this week

The only gear I currently own is mask, fins & shorty. Up until now my diving has consisted of vacation trips where I rented the remaining stuff. Since I'm looking at doing more diving locally, I figured I should start to get more of my own stuff since rentals would add up quickly.

i was in the same boat a little more than one year ago (minus the shorty)! as someone who is still diving most of my original gear i would emphasize the benefit of planning ahead with your purchases: putting yourself on a strict equipment budget and sticking too it will motivate you to find some pretty incredible deals.

the first challenge then becomes looking at the utility of each dollar you spend as it applies to A) the diving you do B) the diving you WANT to do. by forcing yourself to justify both A & B with every purchase you make, you can eliminate MOST of the "leftover" gear people are talking about in this thread. the only "leftover" gear i had was my mares BC, and i sold it on scubaboard for exactly the same price i purchased it for ... right here on scubaboard! i was only out $19 in shipping!

bought it for $85 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...-weight-systems/311491-mares-vector-epic.html

sold it for $85 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ic-weight-integrated-bc-85-shipped-conus.html

the second challenge is then weighing one purchase against another to meet your goals. does a $300 computer enrich your safety and comfort underwater? does a $300 wetsuit enrich your safety and comfort underwater? say you can't afford both. uh-oh? do you skimp on the wetsuit, and buy a $150 product that fits less snugly, provides less insulation, and will degrade & compress faster ... and splurge on the $300 computer? or do you skimp on the computer, and buy a basic depth timer for $150 that will necessitate conservative dive planning before every dive ... and splurge on the $300 wetsuit? what does not having the computer take away from you? what does not having comfortable exposure protection take away from you? you need to answer these questions before making a purchase.

and lets not forget the best way to invest your money: experience. every dollar you spend on gear you never use, could have been spent on travel & experience that would benefit you every time you step in the water. a link to many interesting dive sites in your neighborhood is below. good luck and safe diving!

Dive Around Texas 2011

I have heard that recreational diving is a gateway drug to tech and cave diving. Once you have crossed over, there is no turning back....there is never enough equipment.

Without Multiple Habits, a man is not a man and thus is just never all he can be.
If we had the vision to see in advance what we were headed for we may stop short. Of course, as I usually say.....

"Great visibility is over rated"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom