Camera Insurance...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isom

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you guys have your equipment insured. I was hoping to get my new camera insured, but it seems pretty expensive. By the time you pay for the policy and the deductible you can buy yourself a new camera. I tried DEPP but you must have a BCD and regulator insured before they will insure a camera. I then tried H2O insurance through DAN but the policy is 100 bucks and the deductible for water damage is another 250. The camera itself is only worth 400 bucks! Is there a less expensive way to go or is this insurance not all that necessary? How many of you out there insure your photography equipment?? :06:

It's an Insurance company right, you didn't think they were going to loose in this deal did you???

isom:
Just wondering how many of you guys have your equipment insured. I was hoping to get my new camera insured, but it seems pretty expensive. By the time you pay for the policy and the deductible you can buy yourself a new camera. I tried DEPP but you must have a BCD and regulator insured before they will insure a camera. I then tried H2O insurance through DAN but the policy is 100 bucks and the deductible for water damage is another 250. The camera itself is only worth 400 bucks! Is there a less expensive way to go or is this insurance not all that necessary? How many of you out there insure your photography equipment?? :06:

And I hate Flloyd.

Next - I highly recommend you do not go diving without insuring your cam. All it takes is a hair or a grain of sand and your rig it toast (well, soggy toast.)

Do you have homeowners insurance or renters insurance? Call your agent, and see if you can get it on there.

Do you own your Scuba gear? You should have THAT insured also. My computer, regs, tanks, BC and other stuff is thousands and thousands of dollars. If it gets lost or stolen, I'm covered. It only cost me another $15 to add my camera rig ($1600 worth) to my H20 Policy.

And when my camera rig got bounced by a dive op this summer, it took H20 all of about 8 days to write me a check. That did not suck, and was the best $15 I've ever invested.

Get it insured or don't get it wet.

Ken

how can you hate floyd?? I'd really feel a heck of a lot better getting the camera insured, but it doesn't make any sense to pay the same price as a new camera for the insurance. I'd just go out and buy a new one. who's got the best deal out there?

Definately get the insurance. I use DEPP. I consider my dive gear just as important as my camera rig. Regs, BC's and dive computers aren't cheap to replace if lost or stolen. DEPP only charges 10% of the repair or replacement cost for a deductable with a max of $250. They don't cut you a check, they repair or replace, which is fine by me. I've been using them for about 8 years with several kinds of claims and have always been extremely satisfied.

Expensive? I don't think so. Not when you consider what it costs to replace camera stuff.

Just my 2¢

isom:
how can you hate floyd??
Uh, I'm not stoned?

isom:
I'd really feel a heck of a lot better getting the camera insured, but it doesn't make any sense to pay the same price as a new camera for the insurance. I'd just go out and buy a new one. who's got the best deal out there?

Well - what Cam is it? Don't forget, H2o writes you a check for declared value. I got my oly from eBay for $425, but the replacement quote I recieved was a LOT more than that.

Also, presuming its a digital, you have your housing, your batteries, your Card.... in my case, strobe, tray, arms, etc.... I adds up.

If you're only $400 all in, and you want to roll the dice, rock on. It will flood one day.

BTW - mine got bounced... not flooded. So consider that. You (or someone else) butterfingers the thing, its also covered.

Its not a question of the lowest premium (price) its also a question of value (what you get for your price.) That's why I suggested checking your homeowners or renters insurance. Look into the DEEP insurance as well.

Or are your Flloyd 1/2 speed master discs and Hi Fi also not covered, and vulnerable to being snagged by some munchie craving, headphone sporting Flloyd fan who'll ebay them for a little cash and some rolling papers? :wink:

Be careful. Turn off the Wizard of Oz and go get insured.

Ken

PS: Remember, you're paying now for a years worth of coverage. if your rig isn't available in a year when it floods or gets bounced, H20 takes fax reciepts from dealers for the THEN-current model. Very sweet.

jeez... a little animosity towards stoners and floyd fans. quite rude! J/K

anyhow, a few questions. Dee, I thought the deductible for water damage through H2O was 250 or 10%, whicever is greater. If it is just 10% or replacement value, that's a different story. Also, I was under the impression that H2O insured for replacement value less depreciation, which is pretty lame. Also, I don't own a BCD, regulator, or computer to insure, so DEPP won't work for me. Any suggestions for other companies?

Check your homeowners...one of my systems was stolen just over a week ago and they covered that. Mine will NOT cover flood etc, so I have DEPP. But some will cover flood etc.

Check what the real deductible is...I think I had to pay $50 when we lost a whole video rig (over $5000) a couple of years ago. Not a bad investment even on top of the premium.

If replacing your camera set up is worth less than the insurance cost then insurance is not worth the $$...but I doubt that insurance would be that high. Only you can determine how much you are willing to risk or what the value of your exact set up is. Even my A70 with Canon housing was insured (it's the one stolen).

Remember at a minimum you'll have:
camera
housing
card
batteries

It all adds up.

isom:
anyhow, a few questions. Dee, I thought the deductible for water damage through H2O was 250 or 10%, whicever is greater. If it is just 10% or replacement value, that's a different story. Also, I was under the impression that H2O insured for replacement value less depreciation, which is pretty lame. Also, I don't own a BCD, regulator, or computer to insure, so DEPP won't work for me. Any suggestions for other companies?

In my case, I had quotes from Oly and from Inon to repair the stuff. Although I was hoping it wouldn't be repairable, so they'd replace it... bof units were repairable.

Inon took awhile, as they still have no domestic repair solutions and had to send the thing to Japan. Oly ended up quoting prices for the cam and housing, and after about 7 weeks, sent me new ones. NEW ONES. I was shocked. so for $100 deductable plus $15 (add on) I got a NEW housing and a new cam to replace the used ones I originally bought on eBay. Very nice.

I figure I handle the camera a lot more than I dive with it (don't forget, insurance is insurance... not just DIVE insurance) so the chances of me dropping it or kicking it or someone (stoner or not) ripping it off are much greater than a flood.

K

isom:
...anyhow, a few questions. Dee, I thought the deductible for water damage through H2O was 250 or 10%, whicever is greater. If it is just 10% or replacement value, that's a different story. Also, I was under the impression that H2O insured for replacement value less depreciation, which is pretty lame. Also, I don't own a BCD, regulator, or computer to insure, so DEPP won't work for me. Any suggestions for other companies?

I don't know what H2O's policy is, I use DEPP. Mot2vation can answer those questions for you.

I'm guessing you rent all your dive gear? Then no, DEPP isn't for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom