Camera housing test rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How about this idea. Can I use a pressure paint pot as a pressure tester for camera housings? If I filled up the pot half way with water, weighted the housing to sit unter the water and pressurized it, would that be simulating dive depth? Most pressure pots are rated for a max 80 psi, that's about five atmospheres, correct? Will pressurizing the air space over the water actually simulate depth? It seems that would be a decent test enviroment, what do you think?

Should work.
I use a large whole house water filter housing. Plugged the outlet and put a threaded adapter on the inlet.
I put my camera into the housing, fill with water and attach garden hose. Line pressure for my house is approx. equiv to 120Ft or so.
You would be doing basically the same thing

Should work.
I use a large whole house water filter housing. Plugged the outlet and put a threaded adapter on the inlet.
I put my camera into the housing, fill with water and attach garden hose. Line pressure for my house is approx. equiv to 120Ft or so.
You would be doing basically the same thing

I'm planning on testing without the camera in the housing!:D

Thats a great idea! Anyway, where do you get a water filter that big? I only have 60psi water pressure, I guess that would be adequate.

Yeah, I saw that one. I was looking for used ones, as well., I'm a little confused on the 60 psi = 140' thing. I thought 1 atm = 15 psi, so 60 psi = 4 atm. 4 atm of water pressure is at 99', right? Or, is my scuba math incorrect?

The filter housing I bought is about 6" in diameter which is fine for my cameras, but small for a housing. I got the housing from Lowes. Any vessel that will hold water pressure should work. The advantage of using water to pressurize is if it pops all you have is a mess.
When calculating do not forget to account for Atmospheric pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom