Housing Pressure Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone come up with a method to pressure test a housing at home? I'm thinking it would need to go to at least 60 psi, which should be about 4 atmospheres and rated higher for safety. Maybe a pressurized paint tank? These are rated to 80 psi.

There are commercial ($$) units available - just use your favorite search engine. The DIY forum has multiple examples of home-brew chambers, and useful info on do's and don'ts. Here's a link to one, that includes links to others: link
What size is the housing you're trying to test? I think size and max pressure are the two major cost factors for either commercial or DIY chambers.

I built a little chamber to test DC-sized items, but for larger (like my camera housings) for me it wasn't worth the trouble. Instead, I go for a paddle (kayak) and drop them off a line. This isn't exactly "at home" but for me can be done without having to take a housing on a dive to test, and I can test to pressures well beyond my dive depth (margin is always good).

I mount the housing to be tested on a platform (an aluminum bar) with a dive computer inside, and a second DC outside - both visible to a video camera also mounted on the aluminum bar. Then I paddle the contraption out to deep water and drop it over the side on a line. For me, max pressure is limited just by how long a line I'm willing to haul back up. Might sound odd or complicated but works for me, and getting out in the kayak is a bonus, not a hindrance.

I was thinking of something like this. Rated to 80 psi. This would for an Ikelite housing for a Nikon D5100. I could also use it for a smaller housing if needed.
1657399943453.png

There are commercial ($$) units available - just use your favorite search engine. The DIY forum has multiple examples of home-brew chambers, and useful info on do's and don'ts. Here's a link to one, that includes links to others: link
What size is the housing you're trying to test? I think size and max pressure are the two major cost factors for either commercial or DIY chambers.

I built a little chamber to test DC-sized items, but for larger (like my camera housings) for me it wasn't worth the trouble. Instead, I go for a paddle (kayak) and drop them off a line. This isn't exactly "at home" but for me can be done without having to take a housing on a dive to test, and I can test to pressures well beyond my dive depth (margin is always good).

I mount the housing to be tested on a platform (an aluminum bar) with a dive computer inside, and a second DC outside - both visible to a video camera also mounted on the aluminum bar. Then I paddle the contraption out to deep water and drop it over the side on a line. For me, max pressure is limited just by how long a line I'm willing to haul back up. Might sound odd or complicated but works for me, and getting out in the kayak is a bonus, not a hindrance.
Thanks for the link. After reading one, I thought my math might be off but I found this: I realize seawater will be denser than fresh water. What is pressure at 100 feet under water? - Answers

Pretty sure you normally have to see the air bubbles coming out of the pressurized item to tell if it leaked.

Pretty sure you normally have to see the air bubbles coming out of the pressurized item to tell if it leaked.
I was just going to watch for pressure drop. If seen, I can pressurize the housing, spray with soapy water and look for bubbles.

I used to do dunk tests or dive the housings without a camera to check for O-ring seal integrity on my Ikelite housings. Now, I simply use a vacuum valve and pump to make sure nothing is leaking.

-Tinman

I used to do dunk tests or dive the housings without a camera to check for O-ring seal integrity on my Ikelite housings. Now, I simply use a vacuum valve and pump to make sure nothing is leaking.

-Tinman
I do that too but the best you can get with vacuum is one atmosphere. If it holds several hours, you may be OK but unless using a high-powered vac pump like for refrigeration, you won't get much more than 25" hg. To be sure there are no leaks at 100', I want to go to 4 atmospheres.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom