Camera housing tax? ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just flew into Coz with my expensive Nauticam housing. Nobody batted an eyelash.

Consider yourself lucky. Outside of, perhaps Africa, Mexico is about the most corrupt place that I have ever visited -- about as corrupt as a roadkill . . .

Consider yourself lucky. Outside of, perhaps Africa, Mexico is about the most corrupt place that I have ever visited -- about as corrupt as a roadkill . . .
Yeah, we never see corruption in the US, huh?

Yeah, we never see corruption in the US, huh?

Yeah, DandyDon, but I never spent a long weekend in custody, in the US, while a government toady tried to extort me --- 2K later, along with a John Waters lawyer lookalike -- over whether my legitimate visa was valid; and whether my confiscated boat knife constituted a lethal weapon. I lived for several years in Baja Sur, back in the early oughts, and a full twenty percent of our running budget, went to paying off local officials; and to ensure that deliveries actually made it to our labs . . .

this article SO FAR only talked about the BAJA, but IF it is true, it could easily spread to all of Mexico. It all seems pretty convoluted to me.

I got charged with my Nauticam housing this week. He gave me a paper, with my serial number, so at least I won’t have to pay next time... but this is a bad policy overall.

I got charged with my Nauticam housing this week. He gave me a paper, with my serial number, so at least I won’t have to pay next time... but this is a bad policy overall.
That does such. How much were you charged? Which housing?

I know I am late with this question SCUBA Fletch, but were you charged at Cozumel airport ?
And where it is being "enforced", do the customs guys go through your luggage looking for UW camera housings? If you have one wrapped in a Tshirt buried in your underwear and socks how likely are they to find it? If they do, will you be charged with smuggling contraband?

The X ray machines at customs will probably make a camera housing obvious. I have gotten asked “What is that?” by x ray operator a couple of times I believe. Definitely not every time, but pretty certain it has happened. Unlike X ray machines at the ferry, I think the machines at customs may actually work.

Still not certain housings are really contraband under the law , but arguing law at airport probably not a battle I am going to win.

Back
Top Bottom