Camera Housing Guestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nooreck

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I am thinking of making my own housing for samsung SCL 810 camcorder and Kodak DC 290 digital camera...
I found out all the info how to get the push pins and leavers from ikelite, but I'm wondering if anyone actually made their own housings here...and what I can do to cut down on the cost ????

I would appreciate any tips on that project..

does anyone know a good plexy glass supplier arround Toronto, Canda..

Thank you all....

Noorek,
i would not suggest this project unles you are very talented with plexi.
if you are.... id use a box design made of 1/4 in plexi

Thanks John for your feedback, but can U alaborate on this a bit.

I understand that plexy can be a pain... but I thought about perhaps purchasing a tubular/squerish pipe and fabricate the lids, rest is minor , couple of pushpins etc, my main concerne was what will I do with the lens area ???????????

thanks

ive recently designed an underwater housing, it involves using 6inch PVC but using a coupling (so you dont have to buy 20 ft of pipe). my design dictates using end caps (plumbers use these) then to fabricate a window in them by taking out the center then connecting a square peice of plexi over the hole and securing with marine adhesive.
if you would like more info or a copy of my plans feel free to email me at Skijohns11@aol.com
hope that helped,

I almot completed housing for JVC camcorder. Complete from aluminium, looks better than PVC and it's stronger, but thats a lot of work welding...

hey guys.. i am going to make my housing out of pvc. i am going to use plans for a wakeboard camcorder housing found a this link if u need it. it looks pretty good. my only fear is the pressure.. but i think the pvc pipe can withstand it. maybe i can fill the case with somethingto decrease the amount of air inside?

can anyone tell me how to make push pins???
thanks

Jay

We've got a pretty good list of ideas and projects going on my MSN group, DIY Stuff. I've made several video camera housings, canister lights and even an o2 analizer. Check it out, look around and feel free to ask any questions you have. Take a look in the documents section for the complete set of instructions on how I built mine.

BTW, if I read it right Nooreck you said in your original post that you found out how to get the push pins? I know you can buy the controls from Ikelite, I've bought several myself, but I've asked about the push style buttons they put on their digital camera housings and nobody but nobody will sell them to you seperate from the housing. I've searched all over the internet, contacted the owner of several companies that manufacture some of the different housings, including Ikelite, and no one will sell them seperately. If I read you right you said you found out how to get them? WHERE! I have an older Sony Digital camera that no one makes a housing for and I was going to make my own but I can't get the push button controls. Without them the housing is worthless.

Well Padipro I had a good idea at that time when I started this project. I didn't concentrate 100% on the pushpins at the start of the thread, I did get bunch of info from a gentelman from Ikelite and it seems like everything I needed was there untill I came to realize that he was wrong regarding directly to the push pins.
So I contacted him again and he suggested to use levers as push pins, apearantly they can be bent to accomodate your needs so instead of just pushing it you have to twist it.( But you allready know this wright ??? )
I'm sorry I woke up your hopes for this, after the actual start I postponed the project and now I am actually working on the canister light at the moment.

Anyhow here is some info I managed to get perhaps it could be usefull to you and everyone else trying to accomplish this task.
Mike Dolson is the originator of those documents, you might already have this as well.

Cheers

What about converting compressed air parts to make sealed push button switches? They are pretty well sealed and relatively cheap and most of all made to withstnd pressure.

Nooreck:
Hello everyone...

I am thinking of making my own housing for samsung SCL 810 camcorder and Kodak DC 290 digital camera...
I found out all the info how to get the push pins and leavers from ikelite, but I'm wondering if anyone actually made their own housings here...and what I can do to cut down on the cost ????

I would appreciate any tips on that project..

does anyone know a good plexy glass supplier arround Toronto, Canda..

Thank you all....
Look at: www.mswobbles.com

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom