Camera Housing Guestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
If those take you step by step through the process and give you ideas as to where to obtain materals and prices you can expect to pay. Plus all the support you need WITH as many pics as you need, then by all means go that way.

If you haven't had contact with all of them how can you compair them?

Gary D.

Take a look at my site and and see if it's what you're looking for. If it's not then by all means pay for the plans, it's your money.

grunzster:
Will the PVC tube its self compress at all (not the ends, but the tube its self)?

My camera is pretty small. I can fit it in 4" PVC, but there isn't much space around it. I figure it would be nice to have a smaller housing, but if there is a risk that the pipe will compress and damage my camera I guess I'd have to go with 6".

I doubt very much that the pipe would compress at recreational diving depths. PVC is a very strong materal and being in the form of a cylinder it will take a considerable amount of pressure from the outside before it will ever deform. I've had my DIY canister light to 135 feet with a battery that fits tightly inside a PVC tube I made the canister out of with no problems.

Do you think it would compress more with the larger tube, you know.. larger air space?
Although the larger pipes also have thicker walls, so maybe that would offset it?

At what depth would you think it may start to compress if at all?

Being in NJ there is a very good chance it will regularly get down to 130' maybe eventually deeper. I don't think I'll ever do Trimix, but may eventually do Adv. Nitrox/Deco. so it may go deeper than 130' in the future.

grunzster:
Do you think it would compress more with the larger tube, you know.. larger air space?
Although the larger pipes also have thicker walls, so maybe that would offset it?

At what depth would you think it may start to compress if at all?

Being in NJ there is a very good chance it will regularly get down to 130' maybe eventually deeper. I don't think I'll ever do Trimix, but may eventually do Adv. Nitrox/Deco. so it may go deeper than 130' in the future.

To be honest with you I don't think the PVC will compress. It's fairly ridged and if anything, if you take it to deep, I believe it will just implode. I've heard stories of that happening but I've never had it happen myself. I was going to take my canister light on a 160 foot dive a few weeks ago but the current was to strong for the DM to tie off to the wreck so we never made it in the water. I was hoping we would because I was cerious if the light would withstand the pressure. The thicker walled pipe would withstand a greater pressure so if you plan on doing deeper dives I would use it. I believe it's called "schedual 80".

Geddes:
I am totally perplexed in calculating ballast. I understand the simplistic displacement vs. weight concept, but do I design in bouyancy, so in the event of loss the unit bobs on the surface? One idea is to use a dynamic system that matches the dive profile. 75' wreck = X amount of weight, is this the better option?

Padipro, thanks for the links.

If the housing is a ridgid body then bouyancy does not depend on depth. Once you figure it out it will remain fixed unless you change from salt to fresh water.

I think you will find the housing needs to be neutral or it will be very hard to use underwater

Padipro:
To be honest with you I don't think the PVC will compress. It's fairly ridged and if anything, if you take it to deep, I believe it will just implode. I've heard stories of that happening but I've never had it happen myself.

I have always wondered why camera housings are not filled with presurized air. Why not install a fitting that could accept a low presure inflator hose? Then put a one way valve in the housing to dump overpresure. You would fill thehousing with air untill some leaked out the dump valve. after that there would be no difference in presure between the inside and outside of the housing.

If you don't like the hose fitting then a CO2 cartridge could supply the presure. The dry gas would also prevet fogging

A leak in a presurized housing would leak air out, not water in. seems like a good idea but then on one does it. I wonder why?

Padipro

What kind of paint did you use on that housing?
Also, you didn't paint over the are where the o-ring goes, did you?

Scott, your MSN group is very useful! I'm a kayaker, but needing waterproof camera technology, looked to divers for the good beta! You got it.

I'll post some photos as I get into my project.

thanks,
Shawn

Thanks guys, I put the site together so everyone had a place to go for information.

As for the paint, I used the same old paint that you find at Walmart and yes I painted the O-ring groove as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom