Camera Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Augustus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for owner of Cannon camera and housing recently found Santa Rosa area. No pics of dive boat on the camera or owner info.

If there are photos the EXIF may contain the owner info. Most Canon cameras do have the option to add the owners / authors copyright info into a field of the EXIF.

Does the camera contain pictures of fish? If so it's mine.

And how many divers do you think actually do that?

I'm going to wager a guess and say about none of them do that.

But......thanks for being so helpful

I'm a diver & I do it. Every camera I own has both my name & my email address in the fields offered. My memory cards also get a volume label which is my email address. put the card in a card reader & bingo my email address pops up.

You better believe I do that. Your name is immediately available in the case of your camera being found, and your name is embedded in the photo for copyright purposes.

Last edited:
And how many divers do you think actually do that?

I'm going to wager a guess and say about none of them do that.
Two so far who have posted in this thread do it. I've seen lots of watermarked photos posted on Scubaboard.

You'd lose that wager.

Considering that it's easy to do & only takes a minute or 2 once you find the right page of the manual (if needed) it's the best way to alert the world to ownership. The info can usually be found using the camera's menus (may require reading the manual) & it will be imbedded into the EXIF of every photo taken by the camera until someone changes it in the camera.

The only 2 divers on the entire planet who have their cameras configured in such a way so as to watermark their photos with their identification have posted on this thread.

What are the odds

I'd expect anyone remotely serious about photography to do that. And when you consider the cost of a camera + housing, I'd think most dive photographers are relatively serious about photography. (Of course I'm always surprised at the number of people who don't secure their GoPros...so I could be wrong.)

If you found the camera in the square, then I wouldn't assume it would be configured that way. Of course very few people have cameras anymore, they just use their phones.

I should note I only mentioned GoPros because of the number continually lost (and another expensive Dive accessory). I don't know if they have this ability like most Canon cameras do. Hopefully someone will respond for you.

Not being a serious photograph, I take the "first photo is a picture of my business card" approach.

Last edited:
Skittl1321, this is a very good idea, indeed, particularly labeling the SD card with your email. Any idea how to do this in the RX100s?? I can't seem to find that info. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom