Calling out the Nitrox Posers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Interesting. Are you sure you didn't have some sort of extra conservatism factor cranked in?
I am very sure since that simulator has no such setting. I was surprised and repeated it several times. It took a _very_ long time to go into required deco at thirteen feet, but it did get there.
Charlie99:
More typically the minimum bends depth is considered to be 20' - 25' range.
In real world diving, that is probably more realistic.
Charlie99:
More specifically, the 480 minute compartment of the DSAT model upon which the Oceanic computers is based has an M-value of 43.4fsw. (43.3fsw N2 /0.79FN2) - 33 = 21.8', and another couple feet deeper if you correct for H2O and CO2 partial pressures.
My guess is that the attorneys had more input on the algorithm used on the simulator than the mathematicians and physiologists combined.

What I drew from the experience is that DCS is possible much shallower than thirty feet, which lines up well with the deco programs I have used and some accidents I have heard or read about.

Crazy Fingers:
Okay, I can't stand it any longer. For the record, I am nitrox certified. This means I know what nitrox is , when it can be useful, and when it can be dangerous. But it seems every time I am at some popular, shallow shore dive there is some buffoon there breathing nitrox.

I am not talking about an application where it might be useful. I am talking about 15' shore dives, 25' deep spring dives, or even instructors training people in swimming pools!! What is the point of this? In these instances you are not NDL limited, (and won't be on subsequent dives either) so there is really no reason to be breathing it. It just wastes money.

I think they look like idiots and are just trying to show off to non-nitrox divers and chicks on the beach.

Am I way off base here?

Are you sneaking up and analysing their tanks? My tanks all have nitrox stickers on them but most of the time they don't contain nitrox.

uspap:
Lamont
I think that goes for all divers not just DIR. I dive 120's and I worry someone will snag one and I'll get stuck with an 80. I try to do only six pack boats with my own group. I hate crowds and idiots. The comment about being a headache diving with the rest of you sounds a little arogant. Not all of us are morons. I am. But not all of us are.
(take my spelling for instance)

dry humor is lost on the internet...

Soggy:
Charlie,

ANY tank could have something other than air in it. What is irresponsible is not teaching this at the OW level. Labeling tanks with useless information doesn't help anyone. It just perpetuates the problem. Divers should be taught to use an O2 analyzer from day one and analyze any tank before it is used.

What kind of fool grabs a random tank that isn't theirs and just dives it?!

I was taught exactly this in OW class -- if you didnt analyze the tank, and it's not yours and you don't know what's in it, stay the hell away.

However, my instructor was a tech diver.

uspap:
Lamont
I think that goes for all divers not just DIR. I dive 120's and I worry someone will snag one and I'll get stuck with an 80. I try to do only six pack boats with my own group. I hate crowds and idiots. The comment about being a headache diving with the rest of you sounds a little arogant. Not all of us are morons. I am. But not all of us are.
(take my spelling for instance)
I can't imagine taking someone elses tank. Or for that matter someone taking one of my tanks without my knowing it. I guess it could happen but I just can't see it around Jersey.

lamont:
dry humor is lost on the internet...

Not for all of us . . .I always enjoy your posts!

Soggy:
What does a green bumper sticker tell you?

It tells me that the gas in the tanks is from 21% to 99% O2. That's not particularly useful information.
Sure it's useful. It says "Analyse this tank before use." That's the point of the tank marking. Nothing more complicated than that. (Oh, and in the case of the "Hodag Gas" it could range from about 14% to 40% oxygen, and 0% to 79% Nitrogen... we use "Deco Gas" for mixes above 40% and "Oxygen" for oxygen - but that's just our Hodag convention.)
Rick

Man, I would hate to see the stuff you guys would write about me with my shiny pink wet suit and fluorescent green fins. Not to mention my dive rag that says eat more chicken. So harsh, so judgmental.

Loosen up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom