Calling out the Nitrox Posers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
this actually disturbs me... why no stickers, what if someone picks up the wrong tank (not very likely of course but it happens somewhere, someday) or God forbid, an accident and info about the mix in your tank is relevant???

What does a green bumper sticker tell you?

It tells me that the gas in the tanks is from 21% to 99% O2. That's not particularly useful information.

All that matters is the O2 analysis. If you don't know what's in a tank, don't dive it. Simple. There is no accident that I can think of where specific knowledge of the mix would be relevant immediately. Treatment for DCS is O2. If it were so bad that the diver could not communicate the mix to the rescuer, someone could easily analyze the gas, if it were important information, which it wouldn't be.

You have to stop and think these PADIisms through. A lot of stuff that is taught by dive shops is often complete BS.

Soggy:
What does a green bumper sticker tell you?

It tells me that the gas in the tanks is from 21% to 99% O2. That's not particularly useful information.
And very clean, hopefully. I only have one set of tanks, and they have those green stickers on them...but they have had all sorts of mixes in them.. Not trying to show up anyone.

Puffer Fish:
And very clean, hopefully. I only have one set of tanks, and they have those green stickers on them...but they have had all sorts of mixes in them.. Not trying to show up anyone.

The green bumper sticker does not indicate O2 clean status. That is indicated on the VIP sticker or a separate O2 clean sticker. Partial pressure mixing in a tank just because it has a green bumper sticker is hazardous to the health of the tank-filler.

Soggy:
All that matters is the O2 analysis. If you don't know what's in a tank, don't dive it. Simple.
Nice theory, nice ideal, but not what happens in real life. In real life there are lots of divers that are NOT nitrox certified and there are lots of tanks of air that never get analyzed. The danger is simply that a diver expecting a tank of air mistakenly grabs a nitrox tank on a boat and exceeds MOD.

Soggy:
Actually, the useful information is "this tank may not be air".

If you have the tank clearly labeled such that it is obvious to anyone that it is your personal tank, or if you never leave the tank unattended around other divers, then there isn't any reason for a nitrox sticker. OTOH, IMO it's a very poor idea to go out on a boat that has on it divers other than your buddies, and leaving a tank of nitrox or trimix lying around that has no label other than a small contents label.

For all practical purposes a boat 1/2 full of trimix and 1/2 full of non-analyzing air divers aren't going to be together.

Nitrox and air, yes. Trimix and air, no

Air divers patronizing nitrox shops should probably be analyzing their air. That's where the real mixup risks exist.

Problem would be solved if air went the way of the dodo into people's tires. Its not good for anything but being cheap.

Charlie,

ANY tank could have something other than air in it. What is irresponsible is not teaching this at the OW level. Labeling tanks with useless information doesn't help anyone. It just perpetuates the problem. Divers should be taught to use an O2 analyzer from day one and analyze any tank before it is used.

What kind of fool grabs a random tank that isn't theirs and just dives it?!

Charlie99:
Nice theory, nice ideal, but not what happens in real life. In real life there are lots of divers that are NOT nitrox certified and there are lots of tanks of air that never get analyzed. The danger is simply that a diver expecting a tank of air mistakenly grabs a nitrox tank on a boat and exceeds MOD.
The "real life" validity of this statement varies wildly with region and who you're diving with.

In my area, pretty much everyone dives with their own cylinders. Most have their names or some identifying marker on their cylinders. Those who are diving nitrox or trimix also have a piece of tape across the shoulder of the cylinder indicating what's in it. If you see a cylinder with someone else's name on it, and/or markings indicating that it has a non-air mix in it, then that would seem to be all the "clue" you need that you should not dive that cylinder.

When diving in a vacation locale, where you're not using personal cylinders, I can perhaps see the validity of the bumper stickers ... but even then you should not be diving a nitrox tank unless you've measured the mix and indicated it on a tag or tape located prominently on the cylinder.

People should not need a bumper sticker to tell them not to use a tank that isn't theirs. People should not assume that every tank that has a green and yellow bumper sticker on it contains nitrox. And even if it does, without the analysis information, they would still have no idea what's in it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rjack321:
Air divers patronizing nitrox shops should probably be analyzing their air. That's where the real mixup risks exist.

Exactly, which is why I think all OW students should be taught to use an O2 analyzer even if they do not know how to use nitrox.

Problem would be solved if air went the way of the dodo into people's tires. Its not good for anything but being cheap.

It's good for pool dives and shallow < 40' dives where NDLs are non-existent.

Soggy:
It's good for pool dives and shallow < 40' dives where NDLs are non-existent.

Maybe, if you don't fill the cylinder until you've made the dive plans, or have a cylinder with a dedicated use (OW pool dives). Shoot, even with a compressor I am filling lots of cylinders before I know exactly what I plan on using them for. Not gonna be putting air in them, its use is too limited.

Back
Top Bottom