calling home from cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what I really want to do is is being able to send some of the pictures.
I plan on taking ,so I have them on my lap top and some on my home computer too , if that makes sence .

teamheatwave:
As previously recomended a Mexican calling card is the way to go. The biggest mistake people make is that when they use an AT&T or similar calling card from the USA they assume that's the only cost they encounter. Yes the cost of the call is put on that card but what is not mentioned is the cost of the hotel or phone company operator giving you the "connection" to that line. I have seen charges as much as $30 for a connection. The safest thing to do is buy a calling card from Telmex / Latadel and find a public phone that accepts them (widely available) and call home from there. This way you eliminate the unexpected charges at the end of your trip.

I've used both my cell phone (Verizon) and the local internet cafe's. The internet seems to be available everywhere and it works the same. A little confusion with the key pad since it is not identical to the US key pad. For Verizon I needed to call them and have my phone programmed for Mexico. No big deal and it is free. I've used my phone on two vacations in Cozumel. With all the roaming charges it turns out to be about $1.00 US per minute. Expensive?? Yes if you use it all the time. Convenient?? Yes since I didn't need to stand on the street using the little curbside phones. I'm heading to Mexico in Feb and my phone is going with me again. I also only use my phone for maintaining contact with family. I DON'T use it for just shooting the breeze. My total cost is about $50 US for two weeks.

I'am on the internet in CZM right now. All over the place. Expect to pay 10 pesos an hour. The closer you areto the Cruise docks, the more expensive it is. Wouldn't haul around a lap top to save a dollar an hours, My regulator is bad enought.

adios don O

Jerryg:
I've used both my cell phone (Verizon) and the local internet cafe's. The internet seems to be available everywhere and it works the same. A little confusion with the key pad since it is not identical to the US key pad. For Verizon I needed to call them and have my phone programmed for Mexico. No big deal and it is free. I've used my phone on two vacations in Cozumel. With all the roaming charges it turns out to be about $1.00 US per minute. Expensive?? Yes if you use it all the time. Convenient?? Yes since I didn't need to stand on the street using the little curbside phones. I'm heading to Mexico in Feb and my phone is going with me again. I also only use my phone for maintaining contact with family. I DON'T use it for just shooting the breeze. My total cost is about $50 US for two weeks.
Thanks for the tip. I will see if Cingular requires a similar reprogramming. Do you have to have it reprogrammed when you return as well?

d56nut:
Hi All,

I've been to Cozumel a couple of times on cruises and have found that I can't use those AT&T prepaid cards to call home but I've always tried them close to the ship docks. Does anyone know if they can be used in town or at the hotels? We are staying at the Fiesta Americana from February 1st - February 8th. If the AT&T prepaid cards don't work, what do you use to call home? Thanks for any info!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I was recently in Cozumel on a cruise and dive mission and found this place called VIGONet. I think it may be new as it was really clean. Anyway it was about a minute from Punta Langosta on the main road and opposite the Navy base. They had really cheap rates (about 31cents to the USA) and no extra charge for the connection. Also they had computers there that were pretty fast and others were there with their laptops if you travel with yours and it was only $2 for the hour I was there. Really friendly guys in there and they even helped one guy download his photo's and burn them onto a CD for him. I was impressed.

Try it out you may like it.

Kerk

5615mike:
Take your cell phone. They work fine. Just check with your provider to make sure you have ability to make/receive calls. The majors offer service but you might have special procedures to make a call. Mine, Cingular, always works fine.

I was told my my cell phone carrier that the Mexicans add on anything they want as roaming charge, so be VERY careful using your cell phone there. You get charged $1.48 per minute by your cell phone company and then a whopper of a charge added on by Mex raoming fee . Do as Doc Vikango says ,use Mex calling card by Telmex.

I called AT&T Wireless before my last trip to see if my phone would work. I supposedly had it "unblocked" to work in Mexico long before. I called back before my last trip to 're-check' and they said no problem.

got there and it didn't work. So FYI, so "expect" it to work.

As for charges. $1.50/minute to check in with someone isn't that bad as to not to hassle with a pay phone. (in my opinion). As long as you don't get his with a bunch of other problem charges.

5615mike:
Take your cell phone. They work fine. Just check with your provider to make sure you have ability to make/receive calls. The majors offer service but you might have special procedures to make a call. Mine, Cingular, always works fine.

hey Mike, I also have Cingular and am going to Coz last week of feb. what phone do you use and what plan are you on. just wondering if mine is the same before i get aquainted with cingulars hold music again.

firemedic296:
hey Mike, I also have Cingular and am going to Coz last week of feb. what phone do you use and what plan are you on. just wondering if mine is the same before i get aquainted with cingulars hold music again.

This was about 2 years ago before AT&T and Cingular merged. I had the AT&T "no roaming" plan and Motorola Star-Tac.

I don't know what they do now that AT&T and Cingular have merged.

I haven't been back since.

mike_s:
I called AT&T Wireless before my last trip to see if my phone would work. I supposedly had it "unblocked" to work in Mexico long before. I called back before my last trip to 're-check' and they said no problem.

got there and it didn't work. So FYI, so "expect" it to work.

As for charges. $1.50/minute to check in with someone isn't that bad as to not to hassle with a pay phone. (in my opinion). As long as you don't get his with a bunch of other problem charges.

No, $1.50 to check in at home is ok, it's the Mexican roaming charge ON TOP OF THAT that is the problem, I hear. I will not use mine there but get a $20 Mex calling card. If you call your cell phone company they can advise you more accurately. I was told it would be high but they had no way of knowing what it would be, Mex bills them and your phone puts it on your bill to be paid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom