calling home from cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having just returned from Coz I'll cast another vote for the internet cafes. I used one for the first time and it was easy, cheap and no hassle.

Tim Ingersoll:
Having just returned from Coz I'll cast another vote for the internet cafes. I used one for the first time and it was easy, cheap and no hassle.

How does it work at the Internet cafe's? That's better than a Mex calling card?

pilot fish:
How does it work at the Internet cafe's? That's better than a Mex calling card?

It seems to me, that the calling station down by Rockin' Java and the old Dive Paradise office, had the best rate....charged you for the minutes you use only. I think the one by Chedraui charged a flat rate, $3.00 for so many minutes. (no, I don't remember how many, but it was still cheap). I know there are others. but these two are the only ones we have used. It is an easy way to call and not very expensive at all....ALMOST FREE!!!!!

Almost time for you to go....have a great trip!

Fin59:
It seems to me, that the calling station down by Rockin' Java and the old Dive Paradise office, had the best rate....charged you for the minutes you use only. I think the one by Chedraui charged a flat rate, $3.00 for so many minutes. (no, I don't remember how many, but it was still cheap). I know there are others. but these two are the only ones we have used. It is an easy way to call and not very expensive at all....ALMOST FREE!!!!!

Almost time for you to go....have a great trip!

Im diving with Dive Paradise but don't know whrer ethe main office is.

Yup, all packed and ready to go. Wish it were more than 5 nights

pilot fish:
I'm diving with Dive Paradise but don't know where their main office is.

I'll pack clothes tonight, gear already packed.

pilot fish:
Where are you stayng and for how long? Who are you diving with?
I am Diving with Manta Divers, doing my AOW certs. Plan on doing some day trips to Cozumel and a Cenote near PDC. So I will be staying in Cancun Sat. to Sat.

dlndavid:
I am Diving with Manta Divers, doing my AOW certs. Plan on doing some day trips to Cozumel and a Cenote near PDC. So I will be staying in Cancun Sat. to Sat.

Have a good time. I'm doing nitrox cert.

pilot fish:
Im diving with Dive Paradise but don't know whrer ethe main office is.

Down by Less Pay and Hotel Barracuda there is a calling station. Dive Paradise used to have a shop by there, also. Not sure if they still do.

Jerryg:
I've used both my cell phone (Verizon) and the local internet cafe's. The internet seems to be available everywhere and it works the same. A little confusion with the key pad since it is not identical to the US key pad. For Verizon I needed to call them and have my phone programmed for Mexico. No big deal and it is free. I've used my phone on two vacations in Cozumel. With all the roaming charges it turns out to be about $1.00 US per minute. Expensive?? Yes if you use it all the time. Convenient?? Yes since I didn't need to stand on the street using the little curbside phones. I'm heading to Mexico in Feb and my phone is going with me again. I also only use my phone for maintaining contact with family. I DON'T use it for just shooting the breeze. My total cost is about $50 US for two weeks.

Thank you for the tip Jerryg. The slight increase in cost for using the Cell phone was worth the convenience of it. I made sure I contacted Verizon before we left for Cozumel and all they had to do was activate the international calling features. It was a very simple thing to do. Our resort charged $5.00 USD per minute for international calls and $2.00 USD per minute for any local calls. Based upon these prices at our resort the cell phone was a better way to go. During our stay we also used the prepaid Tele/Mex card once without a problem, which was $1.00 USD per minute. The smallest card was for 10 minutes. We also noticed the internet cafes were reasonable for calls as well, but we never had the need to actually use any of the cafe's services, so I can't comment on the quality of the services. I appreciated the help from this thread/forum to make my first trip to Cozumel a fun experience.

Back
Top Bottom