calling home from cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I've been to Cozumel a couple of times on cruises and have found that I can't use those AT&T prepaid cards to call home but I've always tried them close to the ship docks. Does anyone know if they can be used in town or at the hotels? We are staying at the Fiesta Americana from February 1st - February 8th. If the AT&T prepaid cards don't work, what do you use to call home? Thanks for any info!

Michelle

Buy a Mexican phone card, such as those issued by Telmex, once you arrive.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Do not use the service offered on most pay phones and beside your telephone in the hotels. You will be sorry!

Take your cell phone. They work fine. Just check with your provider to make sure you have ability to make/receive calls. The majors offer service but you might have special procedures to make a call. Mine, Cingular, always works fine.

A few years ago it was no problem but they have done a real good job of restricting usage...

The Mexican Telephone cards worked well for me the last time I was there. but my Cell Phone (att) didn't work at all.

Julie

JulieParkhurst:
A few years ago it was no problem but they have done a real good job of restricting usage...

The Mexican Telephone cards worked well for me the last time I was there. but my Cell Phone (att) didn't work at all.

Julie

Depending on your carrier and your plan, your cell phone may or may not work in Mexico. Before you go, call your carrier and discuss it; with some of them they have to enable a link for you to the Mexican cell system before you can connect to it. With some (different frequencies, agreements not in place, etc.) you are just SOL.

Some work well, though; a couple of years ago I was able to connect to a number in the States from a fishing boat out in the channel between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

medic13:
are there any INTERNET station ect to use the INTERNET , just thought about that .

Sure, there are several places on Cozumel where you can get on line. The one I am most familiar with is the Calling Station, which is on the main drag a couple of blocks south of the Plaza. There's also one in the Chedraui complex, across the street from Plaza las Glorias.

As previously recomended a Mexican calling card is the way to go. The biggest mistake people make is that when they use an AT&T or similar calling card from the USA they assume that's the only cost they encounter. Yes the cost of the call is put on that card but what is not mentioned is the cost of the hotel or phone company operator giving you the "connection" to that line. I have seen charges as much as $30 for a connection. The safest thing to do is buy a calling card from Telmex / Latadel and find a public phone that accepts them (widely available) and call home from there. This way you eliminate the unexpected charges at the end of your trip.

ggunn:
Sure, there are several places on Cozumel where you can get on line. The one I am most familiar with is the Calling Station, which is on the main drag a couple of blocks south of the Plaza. There's also one in the Chedraui complex, across the street from Plaza las Glorias.

That's the one I've used before and they get some traffic in their. I need to start taking my laptop and getting connection at hotel.

Back
Top Bottom