Calling All "FLUFFY" Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on how fluffy and where but I've had no issues with a 2xl Bare Elastek. They have sizes for the same measurements but shorter (for those whose grew out rather than up). It fits well and because of the stretch (250% supposedly) I have had no issues with movement (touching toes, stepping over a baby gate, reaching behind to release tank weights, etc...).

That said, I've yet to find a wetsuit that'll make me look like the Old Spice guy.

Not custom, but I'll post the Waterproof brand women's size chart here (I posted the men's above, since the OP is male). I don't have super long legs, but I do have the "varying proportions" problem, and I was able to find a suit to fit me. Of course I'm not discouraging you from going custom. I just like to put in a good word for a company that realizes we are not all just "S-M-L-XL" with no variation.

Ironically, when I went to buy a 5mm Waterproof (my original was 3mm), I could only find one used, and it was a "tall," So now I have a suit with super long legs and arms that I didn't need (but I can work with them).

(If you click on the image a second time, after you get the black frame, it will get larger again so you can read it.)

View attachment 92933

PS: I just thought I would add that these are not "super stretchy" suits. I think that's why they make many cuts and sizes. So if you like the really stretchy neoprene you might not like these suits (they stretch of course, but not "super much").

Thanks for the size charts. I took a look, they aren't likely to work. Their longest inseam is 31. And there are places where I really have to stretch out, and places where I need to stretch in. I'd love to find one in stock in my size just to try on though. No one wants to special order on unless you plan to keep it.

Depends on how fluffy and where but I've had no issues with a 2xl Bare Elastek. They have sizes for the same measurements but shorter (for those whose grew out rather than up). It fits well and because of the stretch (250% supposedly) I have had no issues with movement (touching toes, stepping over a baby gate, reaching behind to release tank weights, etc...).

That said, I've yet to find a wetsuit that'll make me look like the Old Spice guy.

Hmmm, they have a 12T with a 34 inch inseam which could actually work. Is this a super stretchy fabric?

I don't understand why most only make the talls up to a 10 or a 12. Doesn't make sense. Seems that as people go up in height, the more likely they are to take a larger size.

Still hope to hear from those who have gone custom.

Stretch suits are not the solution to a difficult fit.They are neat if you can afford to compromise on warmth or lack the discipline to learn correct donning technique. Other than that they defy most fundamentals of quality wetsuits.

Go custom, the cost is similar to a premium (stretch) suit and you will be much better off in the long and short run. I have seen some good brands mentioned.

More here.

Pete

My custom wetsuit comes from Horizon Wetsuits in Fullerton, California. Three years, 200-dives and still going strong.

I got mine at the same place, except under the name eagle reef. 2+ years and 100+ dives with no issues.

My custom wetsuit comes from Horizon Wetsuits in Fullerton, California. Three years, 200-dives and still going strong.

Horizon did a 5mm set for my wife and it's a nice suit. At the time we were dealing with Liquid Fit. Since Carolyn passed Horizon is carrying on the Liquid Fit brand.

Pete

I just got a wetsuit, it will be a perfect fit when I lose a bit of weight, for now its understandably a bit tighter in some places than I'd like. Am I going to permanently overstretch it by squeezing into it? I would hate to ruin a good fit!

I have yet to find a stock size "jumbo shrimp"...I'm an Large-XXshort. I have owned stock suits, the last one I had let out along the sides because as I tried on larger sizes, they got incrementally longer in the torso and limbs.
Then I discovered custom suits and I'm not going back.

Wetwear suits are AWESOME, check out their long arm and leg zips and the back zip is diagonal, all with seals, so not only super easy to don & doff, but much warmer that other brands suits same thicknesses. I have had other companies customs, but not near as flexible and definitely a chore to don.

As for drysuit, the White's Fusion, 4 sizes to fit most folks. With the outer skin to keep it close regardless of change in undies thicknesses and no issues with air-pockets/bubble to control.

On the "fluffy" note, Netdoc calls it "bioprene".

I just got a wetsuit, it will be a perfect fit when I lose a bit of weight, for now its understandably a bit tighter in some places than I'd like. Am I going to permanently overstretch it by squeezing into it? I would hate to ruin a good fit!

A suit will assume some of the owners contours. More likely is seam stress.

It's all subjective but be sure the suit does not hinder inhalation or assist in exhaling. Chest restriction is not acceptable. Also make sure you have range of motion in places like the armpits to reach valves and such. I you cannot so calisthenics like you are wearing sweats you could be inviting trouble.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom