Calling All Dive-Kayakers!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California:
As Claudette said, I too have a Cobra Tourer, without a rudder system...have had the kayak for four years...love it...because of its length it travels well through any chop. Plenty stable for diving...I believe the rudder system would get in the way of diving from the kayak....and it just adds another something that can (will) go wrong... :11:

The 15' boat can be difficult to get through the heavy winter surf at times...helps to have alternate plans...I live near a harbor, so I can enter through the harbor on those days.

Good luck and enjoy...

Hi Carlos, Thanks much for the info. Man, Hermosa Beach?! What a place to live! Too bad it's far away from Monterey, It would be nice to get together and kayak dive sometimes.

Diveaholic, good luck with that old boat and motor. It may turn out to be less costly that you think. I can tell you one thing, check on the price of a new outboard and hold on to your socks. As much money as my boat costs it better last a long.

Fishandchips, I hope you like your Scupper Pro TW as much as I like mine. Please give us a report on how it goes. What color you get--mine is the bright lime green!!! When I ordered it I thought I may have made a mistake but when I got it I liked it and several people have tried to buy it from me! Noooooooo. Nemrod

Nemrod,

You sure have an impressive collection of boats! Yeah I finally decided on the Scupper Pro TW. I was going for the yellow color, but a local adventure shop had one onsale for $569, and it is the "sunrise color, which means it is orange color at the bow and faded into yellow at the stern. I think the color is still easy to spot at the surface incase I surface a little further from the kayak. Besides, I saved about $100. Other stores sell for about $100-130 more and I have to pay for shipping as they don't have stock.

I will remove the bungee that come with the kayak and have some straps rivet to the kayak to tie down the dive gear. I also add 2 more "loops" at the bow so I can clip a loop there for anchor line.

I probably need a 2 wheel little cart under the kayak so I can push it to the water with dive gear in the kayak. What I see in the stores and web sites cost around $129+ for the one that can handle the weight of the dive gear and kayak. Any suggestion where I can get a decent "cart" with better pricing?

Can wait till this weekend to pick up the kayak and take it out for a "spin". Will let you know how's the "handling".

fishnchips, I built one using the heavy schedule PVC tubing and some plastic bicycle wheels. I think a balloon tire from a wheelbarrow or something like that would work better. The cradle can be made so that it has PVC fingers that lock into the scupper drains. Bungee the yak to the cradle. There are store bought ones also.
Yeah, I do have an impressive fleet especially when you consider where I am currently marooned and I got a ton of gear too and why stop now? I have been collecting dive gear, slowly, since I was about 12 yo.
Yeah, I agree about replacing the tankwell bungees with straps. At first I liked the bungee better but now I think a strap(s) is on my modification list.
Hey, I bet that sunrise color is sharp!! N

fishnchips:
Yeah I finally decided on the Scupper Pro TW. I was going for the yellow color, but a local adventure shop had one onsale for $569, and it is the "sunrise color, which means it is orange color at the bow and faded into yellow at the stern.
Congratulations on a beauty of a kayak, fishnchips! :dazzler1: It sounds very neat. You ARE going to have soooomuch fun and I can't wait to hear about it.

fishnchips:
I probably need a 2 wheel little cart under the kayak so I can push it to the water with dive gear in the kayak. What I see in the stores and web sites cost around $129+ for the one that can handle the weight of the dive gear and kayak. Any suggestion where I can get a decent "cart" with better pricing?
I bought a little cart from Cobra for $69. Weight of the boat and gear rests on big rubber ended "dumbbell" shaped arms. It's supposed to spread out the weight and put less point pressure on the hull. It's also easier for me to place under the boat than using posts that fit in the scupper holes. I can move the wheels under the center of gravity for an easier pull.

I keep having fun with my Tourer. It was really rewarding to finally learn an easy way to get it on and off my roof-rack solo. Then I got to do that three times today since the surf spit me back from my beach launch. So, back on the rack...drive..put in at the nearby harbor. The big roller swells were fun, as was the paddling. I'm so glad to finally have a kayak. :07:
Enjoy yours!
Claudette

All this talk about dive yaks, I might have to find another one, or perhaps two to play with. Mine was stolen a couple of yrs ago from the bow of my boat while tied up in the harbor. I used it ton prior to that and all of this chat is making me feel lonesome from an old friend. HB Dive Girl, I live near RAT beach and have done PV tons of times so I know how much fun you are into. Play safe and dive often
Bill

Dyno Bill:
All this talk about dive yaks, I might have to find another one, or perhaps two to play with. Mine was stolen a couple of yrs ago from the bow of my boat while tied up in the harbor. I used it ton prior to that and all of this chat is making me feel lonesome from an old friend. HB Dive Girl, I live near RAT beach and have done PV tons of times so I know how much fun you are into. Play safe and dive often
Bill
Hi Dyno Bill,
Sorry to hear your 'yak was hijacked...rude! RAT beach is figuring big time in my kayaking plans for the future. It looks like THE great start point for diving the kelp beds from Malaga to Flat rock, and beyond! So far, I've done the unloaded paddle from King Harbor to Flat rock twice...beautiful, but a long way to go with dive gear. I'm visualizing days of small surf at RAT, and putting in there. I've never been to the Dominator because I prefer not to slip/slide down and up the cliffs, so I'm hoping to get there from RAT, too.
If you do get another kayak, PLEASE post or PM and let's go! My favorite dive partner helped me get the gear all squared away, but we have yet to actually take them diving. We're both looking forward to the longer, warmer days of late Spring, Summer, and Fall. I'm coming up a little cold from long dives this time of year, and can imagine it might be a c-c-c-cold paddle back if the wind comes up.
Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing about the next boat that will enter your life....how can you resist??
Claudette

We've been diving for many years off our sail boat with an inflatable Sevlor kayak when we need to get in close to dive spots we can't anchor near-its never given us a single problem-except 1 pillow leaked. Its light and easy to tow in case of currents if we're worried that there's any risk of not making it back to the boat. Its not the fastest kayak,but it stows in a space smaller than a sleeping bag.......Peace....Saildivers

Back
Top Bottom