Calling All Dive-Kayakers!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Claudette,

Which dive kayak you are using? You mentioned paddling it in chops and broadside wind. How did it handle? Any rudder or underside blades? I have been pondering on getting a kayak for the last couple months. Tomorrow I'll pick up a kayak as well.

Well, I finally decided, and bought a 2 person diveyak off of ebay yesterday. I am planning on breaking it in between Christmas and New Years. I figure it is just the thing to get me an my son out to Metridian Field and out of the cove at Lobos.

For those of you feeling sorry for me having such a pig in the water, don't worry, because my secret weopon is having a 16 buddy that will do most of the paddling.

I am so excited to say goodbye to long surface swims.

Rob

fishnchips:
Claudette,

Which dive kayak you are using? You mentioned paddling it in chops and broadside wind. How did it handle? Any rudder or underside blades? I have been pondering on getting a kayak for the last couple months. Tomorrow I'll pick up a kayak as well.
Hi fishnchips,
I've used my Cobra Tourer just 3 times so far, and just paddling without scuba gear.
"Dive California" guy may want to chime in here, as he's had the same boat model a lot longer and done much more paddling. Carlos?
No underside blades...I chose not to install a rudder system because the lines would be on top of the deck and could get in the way when entering and exiting the boat. Also, I like doing beach entries, and I think the rudder could get munched if I roll the boat and waves take it to shore.
It's 15 feet long, so it tracks beautifully in smooth water. Great for fast beach entries, and punches through 2-3 foot waves very well. It's heavy, about 48 pounds. With surface chop or swells quartering on the stern or bow, the stern tends to get pushed sideways a bit. I'm starting to get the hang of paddling to counteract the swing. It feels like it might be more stable with the weight of dive gear in the stern. The stern rides a bit higher than the bow when there's no gear, so a strong cross wind also pushes the stern sideways a little. I had a hard time using a stiff, lightweight asymmetrical paddle, and it became much easier once I switched to the Cobra PowerFlex paddle: faster, better acceleration, better control of steering, not that much heavier.
Can't wait to start diving off it!
Which boats have you tried?
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
Hi Dr. Bill,
Can't wait to see how I'll manage to roll it!! Voices of experience keep telling me, "Strap it or tether it or lose it...your choice. But you WILL roll it at some point

We rolled a kayak the first time out on one. No problem getting in the water. Getting back in...that's another story. We finally got the hang of it, but I'm with Shakazulu, I don't need another piece of equipment to lug around. I'd rather have a boat with a motor and a ladder that will lug us around.

fishnchips:
Which dive kayak you are using? You mentioned paddling it in chops and broadside wind. How did it handle? Any rudder or underside blades? I have been pondering on getting a kayak for the last couple months.

As Claudette said, I too have a Cobra Tourer, without a rudder system...have had the kayak for four years...love it...because of its length it travels well through any chop. Plenty stable for diving...I believe the rudder system would get in the way of diving from the kayak....and it just adds another something that can (will) go wrong... :11:

The 15' boat can be difficult to get through the heavy winter surf at times...helps to have alternate plans...I live near a harbor, so I can enter through the harbor on those days.

Good luck and enjoy...

"I'd rather have a boat with a motor and a ladder that will lug us around."

I got one of those. Nineteen feet of 150 horsepowerd 48 MPH foam filled fiberglass that whenever I use it I have to lug along behind my truck, lug to a lift or ramp, lug it to the shop for work, store it, clean it , maintain it, pay LOT's of money for it (lot's!!!!!!) worry over it, put 60 gallons of gas in to make it go but yeah, nothing beats your very own Boston Whaler. The good new is that there is plenty of room inside the Whaler for a kayak. I wish this site allowed posting pics inside a thread. Can I interest anyone in a 14 foot Novurania Cancura high performance inflatable?---lol.

Has anyone mounted a depth/fish on their kayak. I have experimented with it some but since I only get to use my yak a few times a year it is a long process trying to figure out the way to do it. Probably in Calif they are not needed. N

A few things I like about dive Kayaks.
• Cheap compared to a boat
• The ability to reach remote locations
• Work out
• The rugged factor
• You can throw it on top of your car or in the back of your truck
• You can launch it about any where
• No registration, license, limited regulations
• Non divers can tag along

Things I don’t like.
• The vis is always better on the other side
• Unstable and hard to paddle in heavy seas
• Very susceptible to dive buddies commandeering your vessel

A few points to highlight-
• You can go out, fully suited in a dry suit, and a steal 95, with a spear gun, and anchor
• You will tip over
• If you don’t strap it down you will lose it
• Your coffee mug will flip over
• Kayaks are heavy after a dive
• They will fall off while trying to strap it to the top of your car
• Your buddies will flip you over, and paddle off
bring water

Nemrod:
"I'd rather have a boat with a motor and a ladder that will lug us around."

I got one of those. Nineteen feet of 150 horsepowerd 48 MPH foam filled fiberglass that whenever I use it I have to lug along behind my truck, lug to a lift or ramp, lug it to the shop for work, store it, clean it , maintain it, pay LOT's of money for it (lot's!!!!!!) worry over it, put 60 gallons of gas in to make it go but yeah, nothing beats your very own Boston Whaler.

Your truck actually does the lugging, not your muscles. And, hey, we're talking about scuba diving here. Anything associated with scuba costs LOT's of money!

We just obtained a 17' Chrysler runabout with 100hp o/b for free, but it hasn't been used in probably 20 yrs. The boat is in great shape (it was kept stored in a barn all these years), just needs some interior touch ups. The motor is another story...did you say LOT's of money!?!?!?!?!

Dive California:
As Claudette said, I too have a Cobra Tourer, without a rudder system...have had the kayak for four years...love it...because of its length it travels well through any chop. Plenty stable for diving...I believe the rudder system would get in the way of diving from the kayak....and it just adds another something that can (will) go wrong... :11:
Good luck and enjoy...

I really think the advantages of having a rudder outweigh the perceived problems of using a rudder. A rudder truly is an amazing device on the longer kayaks.

Also, I think anyone interested in kayak diving should check out Gilligan's (SB member) home page. It's a wealth of information and can be found at: Kayak Diving

HBDiveGirl:
Hi fishnchips,
I've used my Cobra Tourer just 3 times so far, and just paddling without scuba gear.
"Dive California" guy may want to chime in here, as he's had the same boat model a lot longer and done much more paddling. Carlos?
No underside blades...I chose not to install a rudder system because the lines would be on top of the deck and could get in the way when entering and exiting the boat. Also, I like doing beach entries, and I think the rudder could get munched if I roll the boat and waves take it to shore.
It's 15 feet long, so it tracks beautifully in smooth water. Great for fast beach entries, and punches through 2-3 foot waves very well. It's heavy, about 48 pounds. With surface chop or swells quartering on the stern or bow, the stern tends to get pushed sideways a bit. I'm starting to get the hang of paddling to counteract the swing. It feels like it might be more stable with the weight of dive gear in the stern. The stern rides a bit higher than the bow when there's no gear, so a strong cross wind also pushes the stern sideways a little. I had a hard time using a stiff, lightweight asymmetrical paddle, and it became much easier once I switched to the Cobra PowerFlex paddle: faster, better acceleration, better control of steering, not that much heavier.
Can't wait to start diving off it!
Which boats have you tried?
Claudette

Thanks for the info. The Cobra Tourer looks like a great platform. I just purchased OK Scupper Pro TW. The shop is putting on extra straps for me so that I can tie down oll the gears. Can't wait to pick it up this weekend to go kayak. I'll see how it handle in windy situation before I put in the rudder system, just like to keep things simple.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom