Call for help with Koh Bon fish net problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashooter

Contributor
Reaction score
Just off a boat in the similans and on our last day, we found a large 1000ft tight wire mesh(so small that even anthias can't get through) covering 1/3 of Koh Bon Pinnacle. A few divers and I tried to roll up the net to minimize damage but 3 dives later we hardly dented the problem. I am now trying to organize a clean up with phuket/Khao Lak boat operators to see if we can get a boat with Nitrox (the pinnacle is deep(80ft at the top and 170ft at the bottom) and get the net off the pinnacle before it destroys the fragile eco-system. I saw at least 15 lionfish and hundreds of rainbow runners, fusiliers and triggerfish entangled and dead.
What I am asking from the scuba board community is a bit of time and a $1 worth of fax time. I'm hoping all of you can fax the Tourism Authority of Thailand and the national marine park of thailand with a complaint saying you would not visit thailand if the areas where mantas and whalesharks visit are destroyed etc. I leave you to word it yourself but it would be nice to add that you would like to see thailand preserve dive sites for the future of its dive industry. I have the manpower but not the boat and resources to pull this off and need your help. Here are the fax numbers of the various agencies:

Tourism Authority of THailand
Fax: +6622505511
email: center@tat.or.th

Mr. Sawat Dulyapatch
Director of Natural Resources Conservation Office
&
Mr.Verapan Sriboonlue
Director General
Royal Forest Department Thailand
61 Phaholyothin Road, Chatujak, Bangkok 10900* Thailand
Tel. (662)-5795964,(662)- 5614292-3 ext. 701, 765* Fax. (662)-5797048

Thanks and hope this nudges things along since the reef doesn't have much time. I suggest facisimiles because emails are not written and will probably be ignored.

Back
Top Bottom