California First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned to dive in SoCal and dived actively from 1970-80. I moved away and did not dive for a while. For years, I have a chance to get to San Diego reasonably frequently. I dive whenever I visit. Wreck alley, kelp forests, Los Coronados, great diving. 7 mm full suit, hooded vest, good gloves and booties, I'm quite good down to the low 50s. If you have the chance, dive in California.

Like OP, I am used to diving in warm water and never gone in water below 75F. But I'm living in CA now and would like to see what Point Lobos has to offer.

What wetsuit thickness would everyone recommend? Looks like water temp is in the lower 50s this time of year.

I dove Point Lobos in early June this year and dive computers hit 46-48F depending on who you asked. I dove in an 8/7 semi-dry and was cold. My hands, face, feet were much colder than what my core felt like but it was still manageable. Then again, I get cold easily and could always be warmer. Then again... I dive a 5mm in 84-86 water comfortably. 3mm in 89 is also fine. LOL. A second dive, forget it! I ducked out. Drysuit, please. :)

Hate to neg my own backyard, but for kelp forests, SoCal is what NorCal would look like if you could see anything, and weren't shivering too much to enjoy yourself. The Channel Islands have to be one of the most spectacular dive destinations in the world. Cold water diving with relatively reliable viz, and temperatures amenable to wetsuits.

Last 4 weekends at Pt Lobos, my computer recorded temps of 54F, 55F, 54F and 51F on dives. In addition to the wetsuit/drysuit recommendations already provided, I would suggest that you bring something to warm you up on the surface interval. A fleece jacket is good, a parka or boat coat is even better. IMO, this is the biggest factor if you're planning on more than 1 dive, especially as it's starting to get cloudier, rainier and cooler around here.

Another thing to keep in mind, specifically for Pt Lobos, is the surface swim. You're looking at an extra 10min or so at the beginning and end of the dive - this is a significant amount of extra time in the water on top of your dive time you need to account for.

Thanks for your report. I enjoyed the perspective. I often wonder why we don't get more tourist divers. I do know the cold is absolutely a deal breaker for many, but I'm always amazed by the life I see in decent, or better, conditions. Lobos for me in a few weeks.

I often wonder why we don't get more tourist divers.

I was curious about that, too, when I researched in preparation for my trip (limited load Southern Channel Islands live-aboard 5-day trip). I was surprised how colorful some sites were, even without much coral growth (I didn't say none; saw purple hydrocoral at a site or two), and the kelp and opportunity to dive with sea lions (even saw a couple of harbor seals) in a different ocean was sweet! That said, a few issues:

1.) Cold.
2.) Lower viz. on average than some destinations.
3.) That much exposure protection is a hurdle for some, particularly people who didn't train in conditions requiring it.
4.) I'm big, chunky & cold-tolerant, but some people would need a drysuit. That's more training/competency/gear, another hurdle.
5.) I don't see local dive shops (southwestern KY here) organizing trips out there, so the opportunity to have 'mother hen' and seasoned acquaintances shepherd you through your first trip isn't so easy.
6.) The local dive culture doesn't tend to provide no-added charge guides leading group dives.
7.) That same culture favors self-service (e.g.: gear setups), rather than concierge serve with staff setting your gear up for you.
8.) A reputation for more 'challenging' (difficult) conditions can be off-putting to newbies.
9.) If you want to go, how do you break down the options? North or south? Land-based of live-aboard? Mainland or Catalina Island? California has a rep. for being expensive topside. How bad's the traffic? If I take the family, will spouse shopping & a side-trip to Disney Land kill the budget?

Now compare all that with signing onto a LDS trip to Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan, or Scuba Club Cozumel.

I hope more intermediate dives turn onto the offerings in California. If found it a very nice way to experience something different.

Richard.

Like OP, I am used to diving in warm water and never gone in water below 75F. But I'm living in CA now and would like to see what Point Lobos has to offer.

What wetsuit thickness would everyone recommend? Looks like water temp is in the lower 50s this time of year.
If you can't swing a dry suit, you might check out a semidry. They are basically fancy wetsuits with gaskets on the arms and legs that restrict water exchange in the suit. I find my Hollis NeoTek semidry to be warmer than a regular wetsuit while offering more mobility. Breakwater Scuba rents semidries if you wanna try one out.

I was curious about that, too, when I researched in preparation for my trip (limited load Southern Channel Islands live-aboard 5-day trip). I was surprised how colorful some sites were, even without much coral growth (I didn't say none; saw purple hydrocoral at a site or two), and the kelp and opportunity to dive with sea lions (even saw a couple of harbor seals) in a different ocean was sweet! That said, a few issues:

1.) Cold.
2.) Lower viz. on average than some destinations.
3.) That much exposure protection is a hurdle for some, particularly people who didn't train in conditions requiring it.
4.) I'm big, chunky & cold-tolerant, but some people would need a drysuit. That's more training/competency/gear, another hurdle.
5.) I don't see local dive shops (southwestern KY here) organizing trips out there, so the opportunity to have 'mother hen' and seasoned acquaintances shepherd you through your first trip isn't so easy.
6.) The local dive culture doesn't tend to provide no-added charge guides leading group dives.
7.) That same culture favors self-service (e.g.: gear setups), rather than concierge serve with staff setting your gear up for you.
8.) A reputation for more 'challenging' (difficult) conditions can be off-putting to newbies.
9.) If you want to go, how do you break down the options? North or south? Land-based of live-aboard? Mainland or Catalina Island? California has a rep. for being expensive topside. How bad's the traffic? If I take the family, will spouse shopping & a side-trip to Disney Land kill the budget?

Now compare all that with signing onto a LDS trip to Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan, or Scuba Club Cozumel.

I hope more intermediate dives turn onto the offerings in California. If found it a very nice way to experience something different.

Richard.
So true--California diving has a lot of moving parts! I live about 2 hours north of Monterey, and it can be hard to coordinate dives between work schedules and finicky conditions. Even if it's not unsafe to dive, it can be downright unpleasant. I'm not excited about fighting traffic and freezing my face for less than 10 feet of viz, but 15 feet is totally worth it :wink: I'm amazed by all the cool things I've seen with 10-20 feet of viz. When I schedule a NorCal dive, I like to have a back up land activity (like the Monterey Bay Aquarium) just in case the diving doesn't work out.

You might find a 7-9mm fullsuit adequate, many use those. To me it's borderline. If you're not prone to cold, and are an active diver, it might be adequate. A 7mm farmer john would be warmer, but probably no less cumbersome than a drysuit, and less warm. Switching to a drysuit made diving NorCal fun for me again.

Back
Top Bottom