California First Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's not like anyone needs a trip report on Monterey, but I thought it might be helpful to describe my experiences in case any other experienced divers are wondering about diving in Northern California for the first time.

Since I started diving, I have wanted to see the kelp forest environment. Reading and looking at pictures/video, I knew I had to experience it for myself one day. For years, I tried to convince anyone from my east-coast dive crew to go. But there were no takers, so when I was planning a trip to visit a friend in Oakland, I decided to just add a few days and check out Monterey on my own. All of my ocean experience has been in warm water. I do have significant time in the local quarries, but the temps there are usually in the 60s (we generally keep the students above the thermoclines). So my biggest concern was getting cold. I'm not drysuit certified. If I had more time, I would have taken drysuit out there - it would have been a great place to learn. I am also very tall and large and most rental gear does not fit. So I decided to get some 5mm semi-dry gloves, some 7mm boots without holes, and a lavacore vest with hood to supplement my 7mm wetsuit and 7mm hood.

I am comfortable shore diving on my own, but because of cold, unfamiliarity with the environment, and just general newness, I decided to go out for 2 days with Breakwater Scuba. The first day we did 2 dives right across the street from the shop at San Carlos Beach (Breakwater). The second day I had arranged to go with Breakwater to Point Lobos, and we did 2 dives at Whaler's Cove. The water temperature was 54F. Having that much neoprene was pretty uncomfortable out of the water, but once the dives started, it wasn't bad. My arms, hands, and feet were chilly but it never reached the blue lip, shivering state. I actually found the second dive to be a little warmer, which makes no sense. It helped that the air temps were about 65 and sunny.

So, the cold wasn't as big a deal as I made it out to be. But was it worth it? Hell yeah! Pinnipeds, Nudibranchs, Invertebrates everywhere. A leopard shark at Point Lobos! The kelp forest environment was as magical as I'd imagined. Especially Point Lobos - that place is amazing. I was hauling so much gear I couldn't bring my bigger camera setup, but I did bring my TG4 and one strobe. Next time, the big camera is coming no doubt. Breakwater was very professional and helpful. The guides went much faster than I would have gone, but the other diver wasn't a photographer, so that's typical. It was also quite expensive - almost $100/dive with tip, tank, weights, guide. But totally worth it. The entries and nav were very straightforward so I would feel more confident doing it on my own when I go back. A bonus - I had no idea Backscatter West was right next door. Cool to see the showroom after spending so much time on their website.

In summary - if you have mostly warm water experience like me, you owe it to yourself to at least check out CA diving. I hope to see Catalina, maybe some Channel Islands, and more NorCal sites in the future.

Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/bmorejojo/DyT751

38074426516_ecb82a707e_z.jpg
38074428426_28d6b70d92_z.jpg
38074429056_46e29b8d76_z.jpg
38074431906_79f175d220_z.jpg

Last edited:
Really good photos! Glad you had a good time, and shared the word about California diving. At first I wondered why you picked North Cal. (if I understand correctly it tends to be colder water, and the shore diving more challenging?), but you mentioned visiting a friend in the area.

I'm surprised more people from the eastern U.S. don't make the trip out to try California diving. Kelp, pinnipeds...and a whole other ocean!

Richard.

Great report! I second the recommendation to get out to the CI. The live aboard trips with Truth Aquatics or Peace are worth every penny!

Glad you enjoyed your trip. There is so much diving along the California coast I don’t think you can get to all of it in a life time but I’m trying! Channel Islands is a must and you can’t go wrong with the Truth boats out of Santa Barbara or if you are up for some adventure head farther north to the Sonoma coast for some shore diving on good day I think it is some of the best diving California has to offer.

Great report! I second the recommendation to get out to the CI. The live aboard trips with Truth Aquatics or Peace are worth every penny!

Channel has great diving but man, those boats are like camping at sea. Strike that, I think I sleep better actually camping. :D I went a year ago and I think they’ve also increased their prices a little.

Congratulations on making it to Monterey and having a great time!
You see, Norcal isn’t the big bad place that so many have it imagined to be.

You have seen what Monterey has to offer like Pt Lobos. Now imagine Pt. Lobos on steroids and you have the North Coast, which is the stretch of coastline north of the GG bridge in Sonoma and Mendocino counties.
The problem for visitors and tourists is that there are no dive charters or guided tours (that I know of) because the conditions are so unpredictable and the infrastucture so incomplete and the area is so remote that it has proven to be impossible for anyone to make a living running a dive boat or providing a guide service.
As a result, the area is so untouched and pristine just because of the difficulty of access and lack of diver impact.
But we love it!
It’s our back yard, untouched, very seldom dived, very beautiful, remote, dramatic!, and unspoiled.

Last edited:
Welcome to my backyard. Often cold, surgy, and limited viz, but absolutely spectacular with the profusion of life in the kelp forests. Congrats on being conservative and hiring a guide - you get to know the area and see the good stuff that way. Now you are ready to explore on your own - or check out the several local FB groups for a buddy.

Like OP, I am used to diving in warm water and never gone in water below 75F. But I'm living in CA now and would like to see what Point Lobos has to offer.

What wetsuit thickness would everyone recommend? Looks like water temp is in the lower 50s this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom