California Classifies Lead "Hazardous Material"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess mankind will end up back where it started. We discovered and developed all these various materials, then we assume that if some of them cause a few deaths or illnesses we need to abolish them so sooner or later we will abolish all things other than what was in the beginning natural state and we will be back to sticks and stones we started with. We will have come full circle.

yep open fireplaces burning logs..... what about the ozone???? a comercial said that cars are 95% pollution reduced from the 1970's models. that apparently is not good enough.

a comercial said that cars are 95% pollution reduced from the 1970's models. that apparently is not good enough.

OR cars from the 70's were THAT bad.

Funny how all the bad grammer, poor spelling and anti-environmental rhetoric comes from the guy from Texas. :rofl3:

dont want to rain on your parade but i have more time in cal than in texas behind me. i left the tree hugging state cause i saw the direction it was going. those who have left the country of cal know you can mow your lawn or weed eat with out permits or neighbors permission slips. really do you think that a weed eater is going to kill the ozone. like i said when the feds quit funding your radical environmental policies and cal taxes thier own instead of the nation for the likes of thier forrest fires, they will come to the conclusion to engage in some functional management of thier environment. buy the way how is your economy in cal this week? ours i think has a surpluss budget. for real for sure. and we dont burn down our woodlands. or have a state income tax. hummmmmm..... what is texas doing wrong. perhaps we should tax the california bound fuel we produce to clean up our refineries we could probably eliminate most of the polution just on californias pumps.

i will agree that using a lead substitute is a good move as a general practice. will lead weight replacement have any noticable effect no....... it is too small of a contributer.

90% of problems consume 10 % of reasources. the remaining 10% consumes 90% of reasources.

those who cant arm themselves for a debate will always divert attention to a nonrelated issue and try to claim vistory.

DA Aquamaster: since no one has replied to your post about ADHD and Autism...

DA Aquamaster:
...every time I removed a child from their home and placed them in foster care...it was obvious the kid did not just spontaneously develop ADHD but instead had a perfectly normal adjustment issue due to being placed in foster care and usually in a new school.

Would you say the majority of diagnoses of ADHD come from children in the foster care system? Do you have any evidence to back this up?

You have no idea how much pressure there is to just medicate kids rather than actually deal with the issues. Pills are simple, raising kids is more complicated.

I definitely agree that ADHD has become a cache diagnosis for kids. I doubt that this means that the diagnosis itself needs to be thrown out altogether or discounted. Interesting how it relates to the way folks are responding to the thread: "people are overreacting to X, so let's eliminate X!" I know you didn't advocate eliminating the diagnosis, but your tone came close to implying it.

If you look at Japan, ADHD is treated as a behavioral condition. It is screened for in kindergarten and resolved with behavioral intervention. In the US on the other hand, we diagnose the hell out of it...

We in the US treat ADHD as a behavioral condition as well, and is screened for and treated with behavioral intervention. Not sure what the difference between "screening" and "diagnosing" is, but it's done. Are the Japanese not using ritalin at all? Again, do you have evidence?

In that same vein, I see the same thing occuring with Autism diagnosis in children. Any psychiatric disorder is a matter of degree from normal to pathological. But the autism crowd has done really well as they now have an Autism spectrum disorder, where you can diagnose a child with autism spectrum disorder just for having a symptom or two that would be, and should be, considered to be within the normal range of human behavior...
While I was also taught that "psychiatric disorder is a matter of degree from normal to pathological", autism "looks" much different than ADHD. I work with this diagnosis every day, and while I would say that while objectively defining ADHD is difficult, autism is quite different. Also, from my experience, most autistic kids are NOT on medications as a result of being autistic.

So please, don't give me that ADHD/Autism crap. Rates are up because it is popular to diagnose and it has some secondary gain for parents in some situations.
Again, ADHD maybe, autism, definitely not. I hope there are no parents of autistic kids in the audience. It's not a party anyone wants to be invited to.

...we are a society seeking the feel good solutions while ignoring the real issues. If someone objects and points out the ineffectiveness of a law, they get shouted down with an argument along the lines of "something is better than nothing".
We are a society of humans with differing opinions (farts) whose opinions (farts) sound (smell) good to them selves, but not to others. Opinions are great, but when they are not supported by facts they have little value. You've provided many facts in this argument and for that I thank you. I certainly didn't mean for my post to attack you...I just responded because I work with the folks you were talking about. :)

One of the things I feel is missing in this thread is the official explanation of the motivation for the ban. There must have been a scientific study related to the legislation. Anyone have the info? It could be that there are connections we have not brought up here (other than Californians are wackos?).

Please don't say that lead hasn't killed you...it doesn't. It has been shown to impact the development of neurons in the brains of children. I believe lead dust has a negative impact on the lungs as well, yes?

Question: If I moved out of Cali, would I become all of a sudden less wacko? Become a human? Become less of a human? Or am I doomed because I was born here?

As far as the topic of lead toxicity, it is not the lead itself that is the problem but lead compounds.
Lead paint contains one of 2 lead-bearing compounds that are toxic depending on the color of the paint, lead chromate produces yellow as well as orange if heated and lead carbonate produces white. Lead chromate was used as a candy coloring in the 1800's but is now known to be both a poison and carcinogen. There are many other lead compounds that can be easily ingested, but one thing is for certain, lead, Pb, in it's raw form, or even when alloyed with tin, antimony, and silver, are very very difficult to ingest. The organic compounds (carbon containing) are the ones that will do damage as your body can break those down. The inorganic compounds are relatively harmless as far as poisoning goes.
In my opinion, lead and mercury both get a bad rap because some dogooder wanted to 'do' something.
As for lead dust, any dust has a negative impact on the lungs. If you get enough lead dust in your lungs, you will die but you will die from dust in your lungs, not lead poisoning.
I'll reserve my opinion of adhd and add for some other time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom