California Classifies Lead "Hazardous Material"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humans have large brains. We have the ability to learn, we'll at least most of us. So, yes we've created and discovered brilliant and useful materials. Since we have large brains and the ability to learn, we've learned that some of these materials can be harmful to us.

If you want to go back to sticks and stones, more power to you, but I'm not. I'm going to use brain and learn and understand what is bad for me and what isn't.

Humans have large brains. We have the ability to learn, we'll at least most of us. So, yes we've created and discovered brilliant and useful materials. Since we have large brains and the ability to learn, we've learned that some of these materials can be harmful to us.

If you want to go back to sticks and stones, more power to you, but I'm not. I'm going to use brain and learn and understand what is bad for me and what isn't.

First suggestion, don't move to California.

First suggestion, don't move to California.

They used to be all cool and stuff...but now, all those old hippies seem to be getting old and cranky.

They do have good diving tough!

Said the man from that center of cultural enlightenment and environmental stewardship, Louisiana. :rofl3:

Well, CA has no magic for me, and I live 90 minutes from downtown NYC, 2.5 hours from downtown Boston, 15 miles from Yale.

What "cultural enlightenment" are you talking about, watching the bikinis on RAT beach?

When I was a teenager CA was where it was all happening, diving, hot roding, road racing, surfing, everything I was interested in. I was always wishing I had been born to parents who lived in CA. After a few trips there now I am pretty happy I wasn't. It's still a place where it's happening, only now it's mostly bad.

Last edited:
The birth rate of children with autism has risen sharply. More kids are diagnosed with ADD and other life challenging issues these days, than in the past.

Would you like to have a DDT conversation too?

Or . . . It could just be that we have gotten better at diagnosing and/or accepting these conditions. There was a time one didn't admit having a hyperactive or, heaven forbid, an autistic child.

Let me get this straight here...

Due to Proposition 65, Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, tire installers a no longer allowed to use lead weights to balance vehicle tires, because the may fall off a wheel, get degraded somehow, and get washed into a drinking water supply. This is so because in Dec. 2009, Lead, and a variety of lead compounds, were added to the big list.

Does that about sum it up?QUOTE]

You got it correct. Lead is one of the items that you can draw an actual line to get to drinking water. Mercury is one that should be even more highly regulated in my opinion due to your chain of events.

However, the char-grilled and/or char-broiled hamburgers being on the list and covered under Prop 65 is really a stretch (like, from here to the moon).

However, the char-grilled and/or char-broiled hamburgers being on the list and covered under Prop 65 is really a stretch (like, from here to the moon).

Please tell me you are kidding.:shocked2:

Please tell me you are kidding.:shocked2:

Not kidding at all. When I worked for a hotel chain, we had to have the signage placed at the entrance to the restaurant and included in the room service menus.

That's why Cali gets such a bad rap for going over the top. There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting clean drinking water. The problem comes when that noble objective is used as an excuse to go crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom