Calf Cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PullmanSCUBA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok so I did a search for this topic and I found some good information. I could be wrong but I think my situation is a little different than what I have seen. I don't get calf cramps every time I dive, but instead every 3 or 4 dives. The interesting thing is that I will get these cramps in the middle of the night. They are really painful and cause me to limp for a good half hour after I get them. I have tried the potassium and hydration but they don't seem to help.

So my question is, does anyone have the same problem and have you found anything that helps?

I used to get calf cramps into the second or third dive of the day. I changed fins from foot pocket blades to open heel splits and haven't had cramps diving since. Maybe it is the mechanical difference with the open heel vs. foot pockets. Or the splits actually work as advertised. I still get calf cramps occasionally at night from bicycling. This is helped by stretching and drinking more water.

I certainly think split fins can help, my cramp problems have gone down with the use of them, also when diving intensively eating plenty of bananas, increasing the potassium level does not hurt either! Just a thought?

Thanks for the advice. I currently use an open pocket fin and I love them, so I am a little reluctent to change to a split fin. (the price hurts a little too) But I will try some of those stretches out.

I started chomping on 2 bananas, and stretching a TON before every dive. I have not had a cramp since. I used to get the night cramps too, as well as one at 45 ft on the bottom of a lake.

My doctor suggested Calcium-Magnesium supplements. It was hard to find Cal-Mag, I kept seeing Calcium + D, but I live in the tropics and don't really need the D. But the Cal-Mag were such horse pills, I couldn't stand it. So, I suffice with Calcium supplements and Magnesium supplements. I haven't had any more "wake up in the middle of the night screaming" cramps since then!! It really worked for me and it can't hurt. Hydration is always important.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY positive point for split fins is they have a tendency to reduce the strain which causes leg cramps -- thus the praise from people who have switched to splits. That written, I believe the negatives far outweigh the positives regarding split fins.

But then, I'm one of those people who don't kick very hard, don't kick very often and very seldom flutter kick -- which is another way to avoid cramping. The use of a more efficient finning technique lessons the strain, lessons the cramping, reduces air consumption and may also reduce the tendency to kick up silt.

Ya' pays your money and ya's makes your choice.

I used to get cramps on almost every dive. It could have been my first or last dive of the day. I started taking vitamin E and it worked. Also make sure your are well hydrated. Muscle cramps happen when the body does not get enough water in your system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom