Calf Cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so I did a search for this topic and I found some good information. I could be wrong but I think my situation is a little different than what I have seen. I don't get calf cramps every time I dive, but instead every 3 or 4 dives. The interesting thing is that I will get these cramps in the middle of the night. They are really painful and cause me to limp for a good half hour after I get them. I have tried the potassium and hydration but they don't seem to help.

So my question is, does anyone have the same problem and have you found anything that helps?

I used to get cramps in the middle of the night. For other reasons I started taking multi-vitamins, deep sea fish oils (Salmon usually), drinking many cups of room temperature water every day and eating more things rich in potassium. Bananas aren't actually the richest in potassium. You might want to google "potassium rich foods" and find some lists. I'm eating a lot more cantalope but you can also do papaya, tomatoes, lima beans, plantains (good dried and served as chips) or oat bran. Most these will give you more potassium then a banana.

Additionally, avoid diuretics. Things like coffee, tea, etc. will flush water from your system. Hydrating means WATER not pop or other sugary drinks. Your body will absorb room temperature water more readily then cold water.

You might also want to talk to your doctor. Dehydration can be a sign of kidney problems or diabetes.

The suggestions of using split fins is also a good one. Before I corrected my diet, I switched from blades to split fins. It totally eliminated the cramps during diving. Makes it easier to keep up with the younger divers as well.

In healthy young people with normal kidneys and normal circulation, in the absence of illness or lack of access to fluid, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that potassium depletion (or calcium, or magnesium) plays any significant role in muscle cramping. Conditioning and stretching are much more important factors.

Nocturnal muscle cramps (non-exertional) are a different animal, and can be quite difficult to control. Quinine has been used for this in the past, but I believe is no longer available in the US.

HERE is a good site to read about preventing muscle cramps in divers.

Quinine...a product called Leg Cramps made by Hylands contains Quinine and I swear by it

I have the same problem. My calf will cramp anywhere from every other dive, or once every 3-4 dives, and I just kinda hang in the water gritting my teeth until it ends, hoping all the while I don't shoot to the surface and embolize. I also occasionally wake up in the middle of the night with a wicked calf cramp, which royally sucks.

Bananas don't work, extra hydration (starting the afternoon prior) doesn't work, stretching before the dive doesn't work, when it happens, it happens.

It has gotten better the more I dive and the more frequently I dive, which leads me to believe that conditioning and strength training are a big part of the solution.

Quinine...a product called Leg Cramps made by Hylands contains Quinine and I swear by it

This product is great, though they pulled it from the shelves in the US. The only way you can get anything with Quinine now is perscription (most docs won't give it to you), or in tonic water.

How cold is the water you are diving in? In the winter when the water is in the low 60's my legs cramp. I wear a 5mm wetsuit and hood, so I'm not cold in general. I think the cold surface intervals also contribute. I do not have this problem in the summer.
Carrie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom