Calculating refills from a higher pressure tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure what the standard way to describe this is, but seems to me that if the volume is 550 cubic inches or 0.31 cubic feet, then by definition it always holds 0.31 cubic feet of compressed air (though that's not very meaningful because pressure is not specifiied), but more specifically it can hold up to 97 cubic feet of air that is at atmospheric pressure. ie, it can hold up to 97 cubic feet of uncompressed air

Use the tanks' water volume. The pressures will equalize, and then all you have to do is to multiply water volume with pressure.

This is one of the many reasons I love our (metric) way of expressing tank capacities. Water volume times pressure is surface volume.

This is one of the many reasons I love our (metric) way of expressing tank capacities. Water volume times pressure is surface volume.
Approximately... air doesn't compress linearly but is close enough up to 200 bar for most uses. Between 200 and 300 bar it is quite a lot off.

But yes, metric is so much easier.

Attachments

• fmxbu2przyi-jpg.599094.jpg
    fmxbu2przyi-jpg.599094.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 58
Approximately... air doesn't compress linearly but is close enough up to 200 bar for most uses. Between 200 and 300 bar it is quite a lot off.
I know. And if "quite a lot" means "up to about 10%", I agree.

I use these fudge factors:
200 bar: pretty accurate
232 bar: close enough for government work
300 bar: subtract 10%

Back
Top Bottom