Calculating Compass Headings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first looked up the Google satellite view, I had hoped it might be even simpler. The satellite view of our preferred local quarry clearly shows all of the various marker buoys, which includes most of the major items of interest. And depending on the computer screen, I can often even see the square outline of the training platforms in 20 ft. of water and the worn path of the two most heavily used guidelines. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything like that in your image.

upload_2019-7-6_10-55-14.png

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything like that in your image.

What I am going to try to do first is print the image. Using the information from the original photo, I am going to transfer each attraction to the google map. From there I am going to map the course and see if it works the next time I am at the dive park.

What I really should have done was written down the headings we used on our last dive when we went from marker to marker. My wife and I have been working on our navigation since our check out dives since it tends to give us troubles. Our last dive was the first time we had wetnotes out with us. Instead of writing down pertinent information, my wife and I just wrote little notes to each other underwater which was surprisingly harder than we thought it would be.

I don't have easy access to google earth.

Why not? It is a free desktop and Android application.

It is a free desktop and Android application
You can even access it on Google maps through a desktop web browser. I don't really understand why they've gutted that function from their mobile browser Google map pages, though.

while the map isn't to scale, they give you distances and headings so you can easily draw your own to find missing headings and distances

Back
Top Bottom