Cal Shark attacks -1952- 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
California Shark fatalities- some reminiscing:

In 1952 the California F& G began keeping records of shark attacks off the California coast. There have been approximately 110 attacks and approximately 10 fatalities. The early fatalities were

1952--Barry Wilson, Monterey Bay

1957 -- Peter Savino, Morro Bay

1959-- Albert Krogler --Baker's Beach, Golden Gate park San Francisco May 7, 1959

1959-- Bob Pamperin, Alligator's head , La Jolla Cove--June 14, 1959

The first two did not receive much publicity, the second two, Krogler and Pamperin did. They occurred in a populated area therefore the fatal attack was witnessed by a number of people.

Krogler was swimming with his girl friend when attacked. She immediately went to his rescue and despite numerous repeated attacks on Krogler--but none on her, swam his lifeless body back to shore where he succumbed do to his massive tissue injuries.

Pamperin was diving near LA Jolla cove for Abalone (yes - in 1959 the cove was covered with Abalone). His companion heard a scream, stuck his head out of the water in time to notice a "large shark" with Bob's body in it's mouth. The shark evidently immediately headed for the deep water of the La Jolla canyon for Bob's body was never recovered. In the ensuing weeks his Abalone Iron was recovered along with his tattered and tooth marked swim trunks (in 1959 the wet suit was only a few years old and seldom worn for a simple Abalone dive.)

Please bear in mind that recreational diving was only a few years old and was just getting a toe hold in the American market which was concentrated in the SoCal counties of LA, Orange, and San Diego . Therefore rumors ran rampant -- most probably planted by the dive industry...Pamperin had been seen in Baja, in Central America, in Europe...there had been a huge accidental death insurance policy etc...In the passing of 50 years Bob is still missing.

It was thought and often discussed that the Krogler and the Pamerin events were only a few weeks apart but over 500 miles distant they were somehow related, but of course never proven.

At that time I was a member of the then very active Los Angeles Council of Diving Clubs, (now the Greater Los Angeles Council of Divers aka GLACD.) I was interested and some what qualified as spokesperson, so I and a member of the San Diego council developed a "Green Paper" for the two councils which was distributed to the local shops and clubs. Sadly the individual who co authored the paper with me drowned about a year later free diving near La Jolla cove.

There were numerous unrecorded shark attacks before 1950 and has been numerous shark attacks since that time...

1960 Susan Theriot, a sixteen year old on a school outing near Santa Cruz had the dubious distinction of being the first female of the 20th century killed by a shark in California waters.

In August 2003, college instructor Deborah Franzman, 50, was on her morning swim at Avila Beach (near Pismo Beach in Central California) in about 20 feet of water swimming among a pod of playfully seals when she was attacked from below by a Great White. There was a life guard training class on the beach and four very brave life guards immediately came to her rescue, but her wound was too extensive and she passed away on the beach.

I do not recall meeting her but since I was often also an early morning visitor to the same beach probably had crossed paths many times or since she was an instructor at the college were my wife is employed as the senior Vice President we may have met at one of the college social functions.

Prior to the most recent occurrence last week in San Diego, the last fatal attack was in 2004. The very active and popular diver Randy Fry became a victim. He was he was diving from a boat near Fort Bragg in Northern California in about 15 feet of water searching for abalone, Since he was an avid free diver/spear fisherman he was clad in a camo pattern wet suit which was no protection when a Great White shark swooped in biting off his head. His diving companion who witnessed the attack, dropped his weight belt and swam rapidly to the boat and initiated a MayDay call and received immediate assistance for a surface search, but it was not until several days later that Randy's headless body was recovered. I knew Randy via e mail correspondence as a very personal likeable fellow who was very passionate about free diving, spear fishing and conservation. His death hit me hard.

And there will be other shark attacks as water based activities increase in popularity.

The question is when, where, & who...?

Sam, what do you know of the fatal attack in 1994 that appears to be recorded in the ISAF?

Dr. Bill,

Recall the sub title of the posts "....some reminiscing" most of this informnation was from my dusty files and cloudy memory.

I donot know "ISAF"

I recall some discussions in the early -mid 1990s about an abalone or urchin diver being hit at one of the northern channel islands. I recall the event but very little else.

At that juncture in commerical diving history he would have probably have been in light gear and possibly been diving solo from a mother boat.

Dr. SAM

.. and are you only documenting fatal attacks or just shark attacks in general? I know there's been more attacks in California than the ones you've mentioned.

FWIWs, one news report said that there have only been 8 fatalities in CA from shark attacks since 1923....two of which where in the 'San Diego area'.

Thanks, Sam, as always for the historical information. I was just curious what your thoughts were regarding attacks on scuba divers versus ocean swimmers, freedivers, surfers and other activities.

Sam, ISAF is the International Shark Attack File. You can locate its web site by Googling on that name.

Interesting information Sam, thanks!

It looks like there has been another shark attack fatality, 24 year old surfer from San Francisco was killed in Mexico while surfing. Have not heard what type of shark 2 californians in four days, tragic.

As far as I know they have not identified that shark, and may not be able to unless there are tooth fragments in the wound. The shark was simply described as a "gray shark" in the reports I read. Not sure if anyone got a good look at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom