Cal Shark attacks -1952- 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know they have not identified that shark, and may not be able to unless there are tooth fragments in the wound. The shark was simply described as a "gray shark" in the reports I read. Not sure if anyone got a good look at it.

On CNN they were reporting that it was a tiger shark but I didn't think they were down there. I guess if they're in Hawaii why not Mexico?

Billy

I don't know how accurate this is, but, here is a list of Fatalities.

Not many concidering all the millions, if not billions that have gone in the water since they started recording.

Shark Victims

Rick

Rick,

Fantastic! That's the word for the shark attack list! Was not aware of it.

Appreciate your interest and imput,

Cheers from el norte,

DR. SDM

On CNN they were reporting that it was a tiger shark but I didn't think they were down there. I guess if they're in Hawaii why not Mexico?

Billy

Well, I can assure you that they are, or at least were, in Mexican waters. Back in the winter of 1971-72 I was kayaking in an 18' double kayak three miles off the coast of Bahia de Kino on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez. We had a tiger shark about 4' longer than our kayak (yes, I know, that would have been a record) bump our kayak and apparently attempt to tip us over. The crews from a shrimper fleet saw it happen and thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez. We didn't tell them any different as they gave us all the beer we could drink and seafood we could eat. We just didn't let them check our boxers.

Well, I can assure you that they are, or at least were, in Mexican waters. Back in the winter of 1971-72 I was kayaking in an 18' double kayak three miles off the coast of Bahia de Kino on the mainland side of the Sea of Cortez. We had a tiger shark about 4' longer than our kayak (yes, I know, that would have been a record) bump our kayak and apparently attempt to tip us over. The crews from a shrimper fleet saw it happen and thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez. We didn't tell them any different as they gave us all the beer we could drink and seafood we could eat. We just didn't let them check our boxers.

Damn Dr. B, that's pretty nuts. I just hope this doesn't cause another "baja is the devil" state of panic. :rofl3:

Billy

It was interesting to see the deaths of the two kayakers in 1989 listed there. I remember when that happened (since I used to do a lot of ocean kayaking myself). Of course the ISAF probably doesn't list them because as I remember it wasn't directly attributed to an attack. She may have been already dead when the shark took the bites.

I have had great whites follow me in kayaks and a small Zodiac-style inflatable around the backside of Catalina, especially from the Isthmus to the West End. Never had any problem with them though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom