Cagayan & Camiguin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a week in Camiguin. Like everyone else has said, the diving was great and I didn't even do the two dives at Jigdup and Mantigue that are supposed to be the best. What I liked about it was the submerged volcanic features like big boulders to swim around and the different underwater life that you meet there. I didn't see anything really big and spectacular, but I did see turtles almost every dive, plenty of rays, and loads of other stuff. From the boat, you've got a great backdrop in Camiguin Island itself. When not on the boat, there's plenty of other things to do and it's pretty easy on the budget.

I dived with Camiguin Action who I thought were a pretty good setup and I be happy to dive with them again. I stayed at Jasmin by the Sea. They had good food, freindly service and good accomodation at very reasonable prices. Also, they're right on the beach and a 10 minute stroll from Camiguin Action. I'd go to the dive shop along the beach in the morning and on the way back there were usually no other foot prints on the beach - just mine. Once I got used to the black sand, I started thinking this wasn't a bad beach at all. Jasmin also has a dive shop, but the way it worked out it was more convenient to dive with Camiguin Action. The instructor at Jasmin, Hans, was really helpful, though, and next time I go, I'll try to do a few dives with him.

I got there on the direct ferry from Cebu City that leaves on Friday night. It's a bit of a rust-bucket, but it got me there in one piece and it saves going the long way around via CdO. The company name is Super Shuttle Ferry and they have an office at SM Mall. The ferry docks a bit closer to the area where the dive shops are, so you have that advantage, too.

All in all, my trip to Camiguin was the highlight of my trip and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Nice trip report, StirlingDiver. How much do they charge for the dives in Camiguin? I went there but never had the chance to dive. I plan to go back.

CamiguinIsland-1.jpg

Welcome to PPD.

That's a really good pic of the island.

Camiguin Action were charging me $22 a dive with my own equipment, but with a 10% discount for 10 dives which made it just less than $20. In pesos, it came out to about 1,060 pesos per dive. At Jasmin, they were charging a flat 1000 pesos per dive. Johnny's might have been cheaper than Camiguin Action, but I didn't go there to find out. My brother dived with Johny's and he said he really enjoyed diving with them.

I was there the first week of July. The water temperature was really high. Don't ask me exactly as my computer doesn't display water temperature. The visibility was patchy because of some heavy showers and the run-off, but that cleared pretty quick. We'd have bad viz one day and great the next. Surface conditions were rough some days because of typhoons passing nearby and the monsoon wind, but it was always manageable. I've seen much worse.

Camiguin in July is worth a try. You might be unlucky, but this time of year in the Philippines is unpredictable. There were very few divers there at the time, which is why I didn't do the Jigdup and Mantigue dives. They like to have at least two divers to go there as it's a day trip. Other dive shops might not require this. The worst time of year to go is November to January. The best is something like March to May or there abouts.

StirlingDiver, thanks for the advise. I just need to do some work in Cagayan de Oro and take advantage of the proximity. Will bring my stuff anyway and get wet if the weather permits. Will keep you posted guys.

I finally dove in Camiguin: Sunken Cemetery, Old Volcano and White Island. I got there on a Friday afternoon. 3 dives Saturday. Out Sunday morning. If you guys are planning to go to Camiguin I suggest you take the Philstone Shipping Corp ferry which leaves on time from Balinguan to Binoni and back. If you need to get picked up by a multi-cab call Dodong (09287930533). The guy is reliable and he lives in the port of Binoni. He knows all the schedules of the ferries. I stayed in the Sea Escape resort for P700 per day--sea front cottage with 3 beds. Food is home cooked and cheap. Look for Don 09153170321. He is a real good natured American. P1000 per dive at Jasmin by the Sea w/c is 50 meters from Sea Escape. Arrange dives with Hans (an Austrian commercial diver) 09064337952. They will love to hear from you.

sponge bob:
I finally dove in Camiguin: Sunken Cemetery, Old Volcano and White Island. I got there on a Friday afternoon. 3 dives Saturday. Out Sunday morning. If you guys are planning to go to Camiguin I suggest you take the Philstone Shipping Corp ferry which leaves on time from Balinguan to Binoni and back. If you need to get picked up by a multi-cab call Dodong (09287930533). The guy is reliable and he lives in the port of Binoni. He knows all the schedules of the ferries. I stayed in the Sea Escape resort for P700 per day--sea front cottage with 3 beds. Food is home cooked and cheap. Look for Don 09153170321. He is a real good natured American. P1000 per dive at Jasmin by the Sea w/c is 50 meters from Sea Escape. Arrange dives with Hans (an Austrian commercial diver) 09064337952. They will love to hear from you.
hey thanks for the simple-yet-detailed trip info! info that cut and dry will make it so much easier to make arrangments for trips... galing

how were the dives? viz? creatures?

1k/ dive... then again what was i hoping for anilao rates? hahahaha

Jag

Back
Top Bottom