Cagayan & Camiguin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of makin a new thread... don't hate me for bumping this old one.

I plan to go to camiguin on the June long weekend. Any news on the diving around the area? I wanna see the resident mimic octopus they have.. Anybody know if its still there. What are the best dive sites around the area?

Cheers!

dove in camiguin late last year with johnny's dive. didnt hear of a resident mimic octo. saw frogfishes and pygmy seahorse though. i loved the rock formation in old volcano. it was also where we saw the pygmy. check out pics in my multiply's camiguin album. alternately, you can also try duka bay in medina. its about 15 minutes past the pier where you take the ferry to camiguin. IMHO, the dives there were much better than camiguin. i also have an album and trip report for that place in my multiply (jamesloyola.multiply.com)

Ey Jigo,

I think your multiply camiguin album is locked. I'll add you first.

Thanks

Dear everyone,
I've reading through this forum on Camiguin and Cagayan De Oro Dive Trips but i saw that most of the information were dated back to 2008 or older. Is there any updated information about a list of good quality dive operators where i can go for my Cagayn de Oro trip in May 20-24, 2010?
Thank you so much and I would really appreaciate any information that can help me plan out this trip. Thanks in adavance! =)

you can dive at Duka Bay Resort or Mantangale or cross over to camiguin and dive with johnny's.

dove camiguin last may 2008 with adventure geckos.
i forget the name of the dive sites but they were all good dives. nice coral formations and lotsa critters.also lotsa frogfish and morays. didnt really see large schools of fish except for one big group of sweetlips on the farthest island we went to (cant remeber the name) and also saw a manta there.
like most dive spots down south, viz was excellent.
also many other things to do aside from diving like climbing, hiking, canyoning.
but for dive alone, i would rate it a little below bohol and dumaguete.
im not sure however of things have changed since then...

Go to Johnny's Dive and Fun for the dives. They also offer land tours in a 4x4 or you can rent one of their motorbikes if you prefer to discover the island by yourself. Very friendly people and always there top help you out with stuffs! It was my first time to see a ghost pipefish at the Old Volcano divesite and lots of schools of big fishes at White Island Black Coral divesite. The viz wasn't very good when I did the dives but very nice dives nonetheless. If you are lucky, you can have a taste of Johnny's special Martini!

My wife is originating from Camiguin and I have done a lot of dives in Camiguin over the years. I have done all my dives through Camiguin Action Geckos, which is one of the operators. As mentioned before, Johny's is another one which I believe is equally good. Johny's does offer Nitrox while Camiguin Action Geckos does not. For most dive sites, Nitrox is not needed, except maybe for Old Volcano and Burias Shoal. At Old Volcano, you can find Pygmee Sea Horses at around 30-35m so Nitrox is a nice to have if you want to stick around a little bit longer, but certainly not mandatory as there is plenty of stuff to see at shallower depths. Burias Shoal is the only site where you could really use it as it is shoal at depth, so it is a square pattern dive.

Camiguin Action has its own resort while Johny's operates out of 4 different resorts. Apart from those 2 operators, there is also another dive resort on the other side of the island (around Sagay) or you could also stay at Duka Bay or Mantigale at the mainland (close to Balingoan). The disadvantage of those 2 is that the cost per dive is higher due to the much longer trips to be taken via speedboat, if you dive at one of the Camiguin dive spots. In addition, if you take the effort to go to Camiguin, you might as well stay on the Island to experience the Activities on land such as: Ardent Hot Springs, the different waterfalls, Soda Pool, Santo Nino pool, eat crab at the Lagoon, climb Hibok-Hibok,...

Dive sites that I would really recommend from my personal experience are:

- Old Volcano (big volcanic blocks, underwater canyons, Pygmee Sea Horses)
- Mantigue Island (very small Island off Camiguin, National Park, Turtles, schools of fish). Great to do this as a day trip. Camiguin Action offers this as a daytrip with 2 or 3 dives and BBQ on the beach at lunch time.
- Burias Shoal - probably the most difficult site - plenty of current - possibility to see big fish such as Tuna. This site is good to combine with Mantigue due to its location
- For Night dive: Nudibranch City (located at Tangub Bay)

Camiguin surely does not have the best dive sites of the Philippines, however what I really like is the variety of sites (difficulty levels, depths, macro, big fish, corals). It will offer a great choice for everyone, no matter of the level of experience or interest.

If you have any further specific questions, just let me know.

Enjoy Camiguin !

Stayed at Secrect Cove which has only 7 rooms so booked early.
Dived with "Johnny" at the resort.
Manteque Island is much better than White Island(sand dune). As a whole, diving at Camiguin is very ordinary when compare with other places in the country.
But if you are interested on out-door activities then you won't be disappointed....plenty to choose from.
An Island of 7 volcanoes !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom