Cabo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowprintrabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just got back from a much-needed trip to Cabo. We stayed at the Westin (awesome); and rented a car to get around with. The drive into CSL isn't as bad as I expected - we found a great restaurant called the Crazy Lobster and ate there almost every day; they had a special that was a huge mound of calamari, a huge mound of scallops, a huge mound of shrimp, and TWO lobster tails for $35 US! It said it was for two people, and we ate it all; but it would have easily fed four :D

Since it was a short trip, we only dove one day, but it was great! We went with Amigos del Mar, and they seemed to know their stuff. We saw all the usual critters, plus an orange seahorse I've never seen before. OH, and a 6ft white-tip shark!!! He was about 40 yards away when he noticed us, and leisurely swam to about 25 yards to check us out before moseying away. It was my first time seeing a shark not in an aquarium, but I felt really peaceful. When the DM started feeding the fish, now that panicked me - I can't handle fish in my face for some reason...

I'll post more as I think of it, I'm still struggling to get my brain back in work mode (computer? what's that?)

Thanks for the report Christine.

I'm headed to the Westin in a week and a half, can't wait!

What was the vis/temps like and where did you do your dives?

cowprintrabbit:
Just got back from a much-needed trip to Cabo. We stayed at the Westin (awesome); and rented a car to get around with. The drive into CSL isn't as bad as I expected - we found a great restaurant called the Crazy Lobster and ate there almost every day :D

Since it was a short trip, we only dove one day, but it was great! We went with Amigos del Mar, and they seemed to know their stuff. We saw all the usual critters, plus an orange seahorse I've never seen before. OH, and a 6ft white-tip shark!!! He was about 40 yards away when he noticed us, and leisurely swam to about 25 yards to check us out before moseying away. It was my first time seeing a shark not in an aquarium, but I felt really peaceful. When the DM started feeding the fish, now that panicked me - I can't handle fish in my face for some reason...

I'll post more as I think of it, I'm still struggling to get my brain back in work mode (computer? what's that?)

cowprintrabbit:
Just got back from a much-needed trip to Cabo. We stayed at the Westin (awesome); and rented a car to get around with. The drive into CSL isn't as bad as I expected - we found a great restaurant called the Crazy Lobster and ate there almost every day :D

Thanks for the report. So the Westin is pretty nice, heh?
Can't wait. I have heard good things about Amigos del Mar.
How are their boats? Do they have good storage area? As I will be bringing all my own gear (less tank). Did you rent the car at the airport, hotel, online?
So many questions. I'm sure mtndiver and I will pick your brain clean. :wink:

David

We were on the Amigo 1, which wasn't huge, but has a nice layout of keeping the gear on the outside decks and the people on benches inside (in the shade!). It was nice not having all our gear in our way while in transit, and meant that we could gear up and do a giant stride right off the side of the boat without walking all the way to the back of the boat. We stayed really local, the first dive was 7 minutes straight out from the marina, and the other one was by El Arco. They do further trips; they had a 3 tank all-day trip leaving at the same time as us, but we didn't have enough experience. A 2-tanker wears me out, anyway :)

The water temp was ~85 on the surface, but varied by about 10 degrees at 40 ft as you went through different currents. I stayed quite comfy in my new 3mm full wetsuit; my hubby was too warm in his shorty. The viz? I'm bad at distances, but I would say it was excellent on our first dive, and so-so on our second (there was quite a bit of wave surge stirring up the sand on our second.) The second dive was a new experience for me in that you had to fin like heck and watch the bottom to stay in place as the water went the opposite way and then let the surge carry you the way you were going as it came back.

I forgot to mention that we did not get approached by the Westin for a timeshare our whole time there! We had a letter in our welcome packet that seemed to indicate that the hotel had had some complaints about Regina and was trying to distance itself from them, coming right out and saying they were two separate companies!

We went to online to get our car, and got a lower price that if we had waited till we got there. Make sure you call your insurance company and find out the scoop before you go, the rental company will try and tell you that your insurance is not valid in Mexico. There is a Costco at mile (kilometer?) marker 4.5, if you have a membership, buy a case of water and keep it in your trunk - we drank all but 3 bottles!

Please, ask away! I'm sure there's more useful info buried in my brain somewhere, I just need the access codes :)

Great info Christine, thanks for the feedback. Club Regina already got to me (and to the surprise of my wife) we are members, we love it. I was thinking about diving Cabo Pulmo, but may just dive local, after all I'm sure We'll be back. What size/type car did you go for?
And the water tip is a must (but don't forget the beer).
Regards,

David

We got a compact (a cute little orange Nissan Platina), and were glad for the maneuverability once we got into CSL. Not to knock Regina itself, we just didn't like their sales tactics in Puerto Vallarta...

For Cabo Pulmo, I think Amigos has some kind of experience requirement - there's a thread on here about it somewhere - I don't know your level :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom