Cabo...is it worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We may have the opportunity for a fairly cheap trip down to Cabo for a week this summer. I've heard that Cabo has lousy diving and to only dive if we're "going anyway". One person even went so far as to suggest we stay home! Then I read the trip reports on ScubaBoard and it doesn't really sound like the diving is that lousy.

What's the real scoop? We're not looking for world class diving, just good diving where there are things to see underwater.

I spent my nights playing in Cabo, and days diving at Cabo Pulmo and out of La Paz. I can't comment on the diving in Cabo San Lucas, but an all day three tank trip to La Paz would definitely be worth it. Many of the Cabo San Lucas dive operators offer La Paz trips if they can get a group together, so check with them. Cabo Pulmo was good, but not great.

Cabo San Lucas is worth doing, especially if you haven't dove on the Pacific side before. Even if you have, there are quite a few fish, a sea lion rookery and the sand falls, all of which are just in the harbor area. Look into a day trip with a shop up to Cabo Pulmo, too.

Thats where the arches are, right? So many places are running together for me....I found the diving very good when I went out early one morning, near the arches. I returned but it was completely different because the viz had changed so much, later in the day. I remember LOTS of fish and then I read a translation to the effect of "God's Fish seive" meaning the fish move into the Sea of Cortez and do not leave as readily. I that it was a beautiful dive. (Sea of Cortez side, near the arches, around from what was then the Finestera Hotel). I only dove there because I was at a meeting. If you go, let us know! That is one easy trip for SoCal people.

I dove Cabo in November and was surprised at how good the diving was. We saw Eagle and Manta rays as well as sea lions and sardines. The vis was good (60 feet) and the fish were plentyful. That said, I have heard the conditions change with the seasons so you may want to check about when want to go down.

We're looking at late August when the water is warm and the viz is supposed to be excellent. It's supposed to be considered low season there because it's hot, so hopefully wouldn't be as crowded everywhere. A few things still have to come together before it happens, but I think based on what you've all said and what I've read, it sounds like it could be a fun trip with some fun dives to do.

Heck, any day we can dive in warm water is a good day!

Bear in mind that August is hurricane season. Although it's my favorite time of year to visit there, due to low rates and thinned crowds, I was kept out of my first day's diving two years ago when a hurricane lingered offshore. OTOH, the Sea of Cortez can be open for diving when CSL is not, and vice versa, so try to be flexible. For instance, had I known at the time, I would have dived farther up the Sea (La Paz) when CSL was stormy. The good news is that it's rare for a hurricane to make landfall, as they tend to die far offshore en route to Hawaii.

Incidentally, if you're prevented from diving a side trip, DAN trip insurance covers individual trip segments as well as the entire trip. For instance, if you're prevented from diving Cabo Pulmo from your base in CSL, that day trip will be covered by insurance. That's from the DAN rep I asked specifically about such scenarios.

I've been spending a week in San Jose del Cabo at the end of July for the past several summers and I enjoy it very much. I usually spend 2 or 3 days up at Cabo Pulmo and usually the viz is excellent but last year the currents were pretty fast and viz was relatively low. The diving in CSL usually includes Pelican Rock often crowded but the only place I've seen sea horses in over 150 dives, Land's end with sea lions, where one swam three feet away from me, and Sand falls, not so exciting as the DM had to help the sand to fall. Further out there are dive sites near Santa Maria Bay, notable for large rock boulders, eels, occasional sharks.

The trip to La Paz is a long one. Better to spend the night there for morning dives.

Part of what I enjoy about summer in Cabo is the lack of humidity and it is convenient to get there from Colorado for some time at the beach. Enjoy!

Wow, thanks for all of the information, you guys are great! I know that August is hurricane season, but since there are far fewer hurricanes in Mexico than the Caribbean, Cabo would definitely be a safer choice than the Keys. :wink:

Since it is low season, we'd likely take our gear and book charters when we arrive and take our chance....might pre-book the first one, but after that would be book a day or two in advance. I usually only buy trip insurance for really big trips and/or liveaboards, so won't buy it if we go to Cabo, but thanks for the info about DAN's insurance...I'll definitely look at them more closely for our next big trip.

I've had a number of good dives on different visits to Cabo. One of the things I liked was that marine life there was accustomed to humans. I was able to get close shots of species that are skittish elsewhere in the Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom