Cabo...is it worth the trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Amigos Del Mar in Cabo for a week, great dive operation, extended dive times and highly professional but fun crew. If you go with them make sure you ask them to take you to the Blowhole and Whaleshead, I liked these two dive sites better then Cabo Pulmo (Pulmo is a must and the food at the outside Cantina there is great). I was there in Nov. and the water temp was 82 degrees and Vis was incredible. Did Pelican Rock and The Arch, was not to impressed and the Sand falls were just a trickle at the time I was there.

By all means, Cabo is a good place to dive. Don't expect large colorful coral reefs, anemones, etc. But do expect lots and lots of fish; some colorful; some not-so-colorful. The people are muy simpatico; the fish tacos are great; & the post-dive-beer is inexpensive. (Mind you, the timeshare salesfolks are pushy :D )

In early summer (May/June), water temperatures may still be on the cool side (60's to 70's at the surface), so you may want to pack a 5mm or even a 7mm then. By July/August, I'm told it can get into the 80's.

Check out my gallery (I don't know how to put a link to it; if you're using the standard scubaboard view, it's somewhere under my username) for pictures taken on a trip to Cabo in May/June 05. I got to see a seahorse (and take a picture); sea lion (too slow on the draw with the camera); christmas tree worms; nudibranches; & various angelfish, jacks, groupers, wrasses, scorpionfish, etc.

My kids absolutely love Cabo San Lucas and can't wait to go back.

Pictures were great, thanks for sharing! We were in Belize last month on a liveaboard and I hunted in vain for a week for a seahorse, so the prospect of that alone may be worth the trip to Cabo! :wink:

My husband and I haven't decided about the trip yet, but I've decided if it works out, I do want to go. Although Cabo may not be a "diving destination" in and of itself, it sounds like it's worth the trip and worth taking our gear for.

DiveMe:
Pictures were great, thanks for sharing! We were in Belize last month on a liveaboard and I hunted in vain for a week for a seahorse, so the prospect of that alone may be worth the trip to Cabo! :wink:

My husband and I haven't decided about the trip yet, but I've decided if it works out, I do want to go. Although Cabo may not be a "diving destination" in and of itself, it sounds like it's worth the trip and worth taking our gear for.

You can get a good travel deal if you're willing to listen to the timeshare salesfolks :wink:

OTOH, your time will be wasted listening to the high pressure pitches, so saving $100 off your car rental (or whatever) may not be worth it!

You need to tell the DM that you want to spot a seahorse. Our boat captain said that he sees them a lot in pretty shallow water (20 fsw at the bottom) while most dives head towards a 60-70 fsw edge-of-the-canyon type of thing. We saw ours while my wife was doing her OW checkout dives & skills demonstration in 10-20 fsw bottom.

We used Land's End Divers ("Chalo" Fonseca-Lopez as the OWSI for my wife; I had "Shaggy," Juan, & Ivan as DM's over a variety of dives) on our last trip & were very pleased. I used Baja Dive on our previous trip & was also very happy. If you're an 'average' diver, I think you'll be happy with any of the shops.

If you go, DO NOT MISS the pastry chef at "Sea Queen" restaurant. The food at Sea Queen is forgettable, but the pastry chef is to die for. You can just have dessert there.

Cabo, its a great destination, I am headed back in a few weeks. Likely not the greatest dive location on the planet, but great as a new diving experience. Not many corals, but plenty of gorgonians. Caballito school on lands end and there are some large eels in the cracks. There is so much to do in Cabo that you will have to budget your time carefully. Fishing, diving, shopping, the giggling marlin and Cabo Wabo its hard to fit it all in.

Skip Cabo and go to La Paz. 113 miles north. check www.cortezclub.com for dive sites.
or Club Cantamar, (try search, I don't know their website.

Cabo was a fun place to go. It's an easy trip for us on the West Coast. CSL is definitely very touristy, but if you don't mind that, it's a lot of fun. You can check out my gallery, the pictures are all from our Cabo trip last fall. Most of the diving out of Cabo is only five minutes from the marina area. Definitely more Pacific diving as opposed to Carribean reefs. There are lots of creatures to see.

I hear Cabo Pulmo is a great trip. We're planning on hitting it next time we're there.

I like Cabo and have had many good dives there. However, the latest is that the deco chamber operator is having a dispute with DAN over insurance payments. I'm on DAN's side of things and until the operator capitulates, I'm boycotting Cabo ... Dive operators with whom I've dived, please take note.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom