Cabo - Gordo Banks Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only dived (dove? diven?) in Cabo in the May/June timeframe. The locals there tell me you can dive year-round, but from mid-summer to mid-Fall, the water temps get very pleasant (say, July-October). In late-summer-to-early-fall, you are at greater risk of weather (tropical storms/hurricanes; they tend to hit mainland west-coast Mexico, but the winds will give some good surf/surge). I've read on the net (not Scubaboard) trip reports of people who dove (dived?) Cabo Pulmo in December/January, and were quite happy.

So, I'd take Waterwayne's advice. Be prepared to dive, but if the weather isn't cooperative, just beachcomb :D Cabo Pulmo has a wonderful long beach with fine sand; nice tidal pools in various locations; and absolutely no timeshare salesfolks :wink:

SFScuba:
Gordo Banks is the dive I've been trying to get some information from - hoping someone that has done it before can describe it for me. We're also headed to Cabo Pulmo this time around which is about 2-3 hours outside of CSL.

I was reading this hoping to find some info about Gordo Banks too. I have done a search on this site and I'm not coming up with much. I will be there in September and was wondering if that is a good time of year for Gordo Banks. Is it worth the long trip out there and will there really be schooling hammerheads or is that just if you are really, really lucky?
I dove Cabo Pulmo last year in September and it is so worth diving there. The fish were huge and plentiful. Loads of puffers, eels, and big parrot fish - a fair current but pretty diving - lots of jacks on the safety stop. The boat I dove from had a ladder to get back in but was really high off the water(a panga). The little restaurant right there on the beach has good food too. They pull the little boat out of the water at the end of the day by propping it up on bouys and yanking it out of the water with a Ford Bronco, and leave it on the beach. I am hoping to dive there again this September, can't decide between Cabo Pulmo again or Gordo Banks.
Places to eat in Cabo; I like Sea Queen - good lobster and mexican food -
my favourite Mexican food place is Panchos - we like Puerto Viejo on the way to the corridor for the romantic setting and good/authentic mexican food - for cheap seafood that is really good try Mariscoes Mazatlan, also the Fish House has good food, lots of variety. Also the Blue Marlin at the Finnesterra has an excellent seafood night and good mexican food too.
Have fun in Cabo. Choco

About the pangas in Cabo Pulmo, the most people you could fit in one of those is eight. We had eight people on our dive panga and it was packed! We barely had room to move our feet let alone try to stand up. We just slid our butts across the seat and wiggled into our fins, then slipped backwards over the side, it is a long drop down (about 4 feet) so listen to what they say about how to do a back flop. I'm trying to upload a picture of the dive boat but not sure if it worked. Have fun

any info on Gordo Banks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hello Divers:Gordo Banks Is a deep Dive The top of the Bank is 90Ft Then to see it all the deepest is 140 this means a 7 Min. Dive. Most shops want to see your skills at a local Dive before they book your Dive to Gordo.I contacted Baja Dive and they will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel.I think some other shops will also do this.Cabo pulmo might be a better Dive if all your Divers are not advanced.Our Dive club checked out Dive shops and there are no shops in San Jose at this time all are in Cabo.

Back
Top Bottom