Cabo Diving - Advice Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm going to a wedding in Cabo in the middle - end of May. I'll have at least one (hopefully two) days of diving there, so I have to make it count. I hear that the 'good' diving there is a bit of a drive out of actual Cabo, so I want to get my plan set before I arrive.

Has anyone from this board been diving there? If so, please offer some advice on where to dive, which op to use and how to squeeze the most amount of diving out of such a short visit.

Thanks in advance!

Hello: I was just there for a week of diving.The best diving is just 10 min.s out of the marina.I like the Sand Falls and Neptunes Finger.Then do the point where the sea lions Colony is located.There are three wall dives also in the same area.
you will see 800 different species of tropical fish,turtles,eagle Rays,Walls covered with Different colored sea fans And lots of micro life.Cabo Pulmo is Ok starting in June if you Dont mind the 5 hours of round trip Driving time. When Diving In the local spots you are start at 9:00am and are done at 1:00pm and have the rest of the Day for outher things.I have dove with Baja Dive The last three times in Cabo.I have used all the shops there over the last 6 years of Diving there. Most are just Ok. I wont ever use Manta Again though.contact Baja Dive www.baja-dive.net

Cabo Pulmo is a great dive, but it is an all day affair to get there from Cabo San Lucas. We left at 7:30am and didn't get back til 5pm when I went with a dive group from Cabo. It was a wonderful dive with lots of fish and big ones, the vis was just ok, but it was still nice. The dive sites around Cabo are pretty good too, the vis is not very good 60 - 70 if you're lucky but it is worth a dive. Lots of puffer fish, eels, tropicals and small rays but not much in the way of soft coral. The dive sites are all right there in the bay, about a 5 min boat ride if that. The water will probably in the low 70's when you are there maybe even high 60's, I would check it online at Amigos del Mar website to see the water temp when you are deciding what wetsuit to take. I like the dive sites around the corner by the sealion rock because there are loads of puffers and eels but the water is sometimes really rough there. The first dive they take you on is usually Pelican Rock just for them to check out your ability, but it is a good dive. Oh, across the bay are good sites too.
Have fun, Choco.

I dived with Manta Divers, back in September, and highly recommend them. They do trips up to Cabo Pulmo, though due to hurricane activity, we weren't able to go.

Have a great trip!

Everyone here has their favorite group to dive with in Cabo. Check out Conquest Adventures (www.conquestadventures.com) and see what you think. They are a newer company, but very accomodating. Also, they have a great dive boat. I dove with them about a month ago and was thrilled with them. I didn't make it to Cabo Pulmo, but the dives off the tip of Baja were great.

P.S. - I'm a huge fan of your website and your photography! Keep up the good work. I am going to be up in your neck of the woods this weekend for a wedding. Too bad I don't have time for a dive!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Looks like I should plan to do one daytrip up to Pulmo and then do some morning dives right out of Cabo. I'm excited, this isn't really a dive trip, but it'll be the first time in a while to see 'warm(er)' waters.

Thanks for the kudos H2OU, next time you're around you should give me a heads up and bring your gear, I'm always happy to show divers around the PNW. Weekends and evenings typically work the best. :)

I am considering hauling a group of divers to Cabo in Late July, so let me know how your experience goes.

Roger

Do the one day trip to Pulmo at least, u wont regret it...
See jah!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom