Cabo dive site ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you hdtran.

One of our first dives was a back flip. It tends to be better for my wife than carrying all the weight for a graint stride.(back problem)

If we do have to drive what is the rout we have to take. Renting a car would be somewhat cheaper, but just didn't want to hassel with it. But if Manta says no because of not enough people than I will. And I'll have to make 3 dives while their.

I am putting a group together for Bonaire next May, your more than welcome to come.
All group savings will be split with everyone. Staying at the Sand Dollar.

Thank you

I had a bit of a different experience than hdtran had. We went in Aug & Nov last year. Both times, I thought there were tons of fish life at CP - groupers, angelfish, puffers, seals, a manta, etc. I saw the same types at CSL but I don't recall seeing a grouper but did see large schools of silversides and barracuda. The biggest difference I thought was in the water clarity - good at CSL, but Carribean vis at CP. Obviously, vis totally depends on the time of year.

I wholeheartedly agree that there is no dry spot on those boats at CP, but they are fast.

Scubabum2.

Most dive sites in Texas vis about 10ft. If it was any better than that we might get to excited and empty a tank in 5min.

I'm hoping for vis to be 50 or better if not in cabo than we might spend an extra night down in CP.

Less than two weeks away. I'll have a full report when we get back of dive sites, plus I will learn how to post pics.

NDH:
Thank you hdtran.

One of our first dives was a back flip. It tends to be better for my wife than carrying all the weight for a graint stride.(back problem)

If we do have to drive what is the rout we have to take. Renting a car would be somewhat cheaper, but just didn't want to hassel with it. But if Manta says no because of not enough people than I will. And I'll have to make 3 dives while their.

I am putting a group together for Bonaire next May, your more than welcome to come.
All group savings will be split with everyone. Staying at the Sand Dollar.

Thank you

If you want to drive, take Rte 1 N from Cabo (divided highway) thru San Jose; continue on Rte 1 (undivided highway, can get twisty at times). About 30 or so miles past San Jose, there'll be a dry bridge over an arroyo straight ahead, with a clearly marked exit to the right pointing towards La Ribera; that's what you want to take. As you get to La Ribera, there's another clearly marked right turn to Cabo Pulmo; take that. The road stays paved for quite a while (though not impeccably maintained). Then, it becomes dirt. The dirt section is about 5-10 miles to get to Cabo Pulmo. You can't miss Cabo Pulmo. Just follow the dirt road, and bear left-ish as you pass the only two-story building (painted green). The two-story bldg is Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort, and has one dive op. If you continue past the two-story bldg, you get to the beach and a parking lot. On your left is another dive op (one story bldg), which is Cabo Pulmo Divers. You can park in the parking lot (free), unload gear, go to the window, & book your dives (if not already pre-arranged). Again, if you're driving (& have plenty of cash to pay the dive op & gratuities), you can buy lunch either upstairs at CPBR, or at the palapa restaurant on the beach. (Palapa==thatched palm roof structure)

The advantage to driving is that on the return trip, you can stop wherever & do whatever.

The advantage to using Manta (or calling Cabo Pulmo Divers or CPBR & booking) is that they will pick you up from your hotel, drive you to CP, feed you lunch, & return you to your hotel.

Worst visibility in Los Cabos is 20-50ft in December-April. Likely visibility in summer. is 50-100+ ft. May/June is transition from winter to summer, and visibilities increase while water temps warm up. There's an Imax movie about the Sea of Cortez; some of the diving shots are from Cabo Pulmo, Cabo San Lucas, & La Paz. Shoot, now I don't want to go to work tomorrow! :(

Thanks for the invite for the Bonaire trip; we'd love to go, but already have other vacation plans for '07 (non-diving trip to Galapagos with possibly one day dive out of Puerto Ayora).

Be sure to ask Manta for (a) cash discount off their printed rates, and (b) multiple dive discount, as you're going to be diving n times. Other shops will offer these discounts, so Manta should match :wink:

You won't have Texas vis, I promise!

Once you get back, please tell us the shape that the dirt road is in. Its the bumpy one that hdtran mentioned before you get into CP. Last I heard, the Mexican government was going to pave it, but God knows how long that will take. Once they get it paved, the place is supposed to grow rather quickly :(

I'm a realtor in Houston should I buy now. It would be great to have a small place with blue water out front.

I'll let ya'll know about the road. Do you know where I can get a bottle of tequlla called cabo wabo. I think thats what my son and law said he wanted.

I'm going to try the discount idea, I hope it works out that way. We land at 10:30am on the 15th. I'm going to try to make the afternoon dive with Manta that day. Already made arrangements with the Hotel about our bags and check in. I'm a hard core diver that would rather spend my time underwater than on top. Plan to dive at least 3 times a day, wish they had better shore diving. That's one advantage that Cocoveiw, Roatan does have. You can dive all day and night in the front yard and still never see everything.

I talked with a realtor there recently who told me that a huge chunk of the developable land in CP was in some sort of legal dispute. I understand that a few families basically own all of the land in CP, which is pretty small. You could look into buying a condo at the Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort if anyone's selling and of course there's still lots of property along the East Cape, even just from CP to La Ribera, which I thought was a beautiful little community.

You can find Cabo Wabo brand tequila in practically any place in CSL. There's 3 varieties I believe. That's the tequila put out by musician Sammy Hagar, who has the Cabo Wabo club in CSL. There's a gift shop at the club that has the tequila and other Cabo Wabo merchandise. Waterwayne, another SB member, has mentioned that the best prices for booze is at the airport in a gift shop in the boarding area. Its on the far left as you're facing the runway. It does have great prices and should have your tequila.

If you like CP and are still serious about buying some property, PM me and I'll send you the name of the realtor I've been chatting with.

Back
Top Bottom