Cab Fare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude,

I've ridden in Blue Bubble's truck on dozens of occasions. Sounds to me like those guys were yanking your chain.

-Charles
Nope! The Taxi Union rules the island. My Op gave me a ride once as I was traveling alone, and we did it on the quick. But from what I understand, they better not catch you giving the tourists rides, or there will be hell to pay .... they don't take kindly to anyone cutting in on their income ....

Nope! The Taxi Union rules the island. My Op gave me a ride once as I was traveling alone, and we did it on the quick. But from what I understand, they better not catch you giving the tourists rides, or there will be hell to pay .... they don't take kindly to anyone cutting in on their income ....

Yes, and one dive shop owner was actually thrown in JAIL for picking people up at the airport...and it was her own family! She had to prove that they were her family before she was released.

They (taxis) also routinely barricade/block commercial vehicles that are carrying dive clients...it happens all the time. We give clients rides to caleta, etc. as well when needed due to weather, etc. but we have to be very careful about it.

Yes, and one dive shop owner was actually thrown in JAIL for picking people up at the airport...and it was her own family! She had to prove that they were her family before she was released.
Geez ... that's pretty cold! And I'm sure a great way for her family visit to start! I guess they really keep the Dive Ops under a magnifying glass when they're out driving around...

Christi, thanks for the info about the luggage porters at the airport. Good to know in advance. What a disappointment though. That was a service that Michael and I really appreciated. Perhaps they will switch it back someday. See ya, Sue

Now this has me thinking.....were the luggage porters independent from the taxi union? ...sab

Now this has me thinking.....were the luggage porters independent from the taxi union? ...sab
Probably ... otherwise you would have never left the airport alive unless you used a porter!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom