CA dive options for weekend of Feb 7-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure you've looked over the logistics, but remember that Santa Rosa to Monterey is about 2.5 to 3 hours each way. If you've got an entirely free weekend it shouldn't be a problem, but make sure you take transportation into account when planning.

That is exactly the point I have been trying to make to the travel gods who prefer I take a contract flight to Sacremento and drive to Santa Rosa. Since something drastic seems to have recently changed in the govt travel system, that looks like what will happen, so will be driving from Sacremento to Santa Rosa 7:00ish on Friday evening.

But I should be checked in in Santa Rosa late evening and be ready to go dive Saturday morning. I can still cancel the Saturday night reservation and stay in Monterey at least for sunday diving.

if the water is nice you should defintely dive the sonoma coast, well worth it, that is if the water is nice if not I would say head to monteray.

That is exactly the point I have been trying to make to the travel gods who prefer I take a contract flight to Sacremento and drive to Santa Rosa. Since something drastic seems to have recently changed in the govt travel system, that looks like what will happen, so will be driving from Sacremento to Santa Rosa 7:00ish on Friday evening.

But I should be checked in in Santa Rosa late evening and be ready to go dive Saturday morning. I can still cancel the Saturday night reservation and stay in Monterey at least for sunday diving.

I travel that route fairly often. It takes right around two hours from the airport to Santa Rosa. From Santa Rosa to Monterey is two and a half hours. Monterey is probably less than three hours from Sacramento. San Jose airport would be the closest airport to Monterey. Then Oakland or San Francisco airports.

Is there a reason you have to go to Santa Rosa? Otherwise I would skip it.

As for diving the North Coast as much as it is my closest local diving, Monterey is far superior.

Are your hotel rooms paid for as part of your job?

Maybe in your opinion peter,but I think the true north coast meaning north of san Francisco is where the best diving is just my 2-cents. less crwods,less people.

Maybe in your opinion peter,but I think the true north coast meaning north of san Francisco is where the best diving is just my 2-cents. less crwods,less people.

I agree the North Coast has some amazing diving when it's diveable. But you really never know what the conditions will be like until you get there and when the conditions are bad, they're bad at all sites. So, I wouldn't recommend the North Coast for someone who only has a couple days in Calif. I think the diving in Monterey is just as nice as a good day on the North Coast and you can almost always find some site that is diveable. Just my 2 cents. :blinking:

Less crowds, less people, less predictable conditions.

Hey you left out less visibility! Why would less crowds be important...I like people?

I dive the North Coast 10 times for every dive I do in Monterey and will say Monterey is way better, vis wise and in many ways the life and colors outdoes the North Coast. I have never seen 70 foot vis on the North Coast, but we have at the Breakwater of all places. It is routine to see 40 foot in Monterey, but that would be considered an "Epic Day" on the North Coast.

Michelle has way more experience diving Monterey than I do.

Is there a reason you have to go to Santa Rosa? Otherwise I would skip it.

As for diving the North Coast as much as it is my closest local diving, Monterey is far superior.

Are your hotel rooms paid for as part of your job?
I work for the federal government, so efficiency and common sense are automatically not considered. They insist on flying me to Sacremento because they have contract going there. It does not matter that I don't really want to go there. They also insist on booking rooms in Santa Rosa as that is where CA wants to do the dog and pony show.

That said, I can still cancel the staruday evening reservation and stay saturday night aywhere I want and get reimbursed the fed rate where ever I stay. However, I will have to go to Santa Rosa Friday night as the team is carpooling.

Back
Top Bottom