CA dive options for weekend of Feb 7-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reading back through the thread I have lots of offers. Any chance we can all get together and make it a mini-scubaboard invasion of the North Coast? I'd bring my nametag.

Reading back through the thread I have lots of offers. Any chance we can all get together and make it a mini-scubaboard invasion of the North Coast? I'd bring my nametag.

Sounds like a great idea, although I don't think we can all fit in dannobee's boat. :wink:

Either myself or Peter could give you a ride down to Monterey on Sat morning and then we can meet up with whoever else wants to dive down there that day.

Danno,
Does Dave have his boat in the water yet?

Danno,

Yeah, it's back in the water. I just put a new propeller on it yesterday, and a new radio/CD player a couple weeks ago. But Dave's busy grinding some big redwood stumps and getting his house on stilts ready for a concrete pour (a big basement). His son goes back to school in a few weeks (and he's doing most of the heavy work), so Dave won't be diving until then.

I have a trimix class scheduled the weekend of Feb7-8, although I might be able to do the skills early or later if DA decides to dive Monterey with us.

Sounds like a great idea, although I don't think we can all fit in dannobee's boat. :wink:

Either myself or Peter could give you a ride down to Monterey on Sat morning and then we can meet up with whoever else wants to dive down there that day.

Danno,
After much negotiation with the travel gods to get a flight that does not require me to cancel half my Friday agenda, I got a flight that leaves 3 hours later but arrives in Monterey on Friday evening, not Sacremento or Santa Rosa. (Insert a "Gosh it is an inconvenience but I'll take one for the team and accept it" response).

So the good news is that I now have a couple options.

1. I can spend the night in Monterey Friday night and be ready bright and early Saturday - but would require a ride "home" to Santa Rosa on Saturday or Sunday - pretty much whether the weekend gets blown out or not, or

2. I can go with the rest of the evaluation team to Santa Rosa and hop a ride back to Monterey Saturday morning to go dive. It would not be ride/weather dependent so no one woudl need to give me a ride anyway of the trip does not happen.

In terms of dive logistics, I did the buouynacy math for swapping my doubles and SS plate with drysuit for my travel plate and Peter C's single 100 cu ft steel tanks or rental AL 80's and would need to rent 16 lbs of lead for the steel or 22 lbs for the AL 80. So I'd need some advice on where to acquire what I need.

Let me know what works best for all involved and I am fine with either boat or shore diving.

Do you want double HP100's? I have a set ready to go with 32% in them at around 4100 psi. Well I pump all my tanks up (Although not quite cave filled) and all of them have 32%. I have a couple of weight belts too. One is a 12 pound Sea Soft with two pockets that can hold an additional 6 pounds each or so. The other one is an XS scuba, in lovely pink, that has six pockets. Even if I do not go I can drop the stuff off to Michelle. If a ride is a requirement then lets make 100% sure you are covered. Diving this time of year is sometimes questionable. Hopefully we do get stormy weather at some point as we are headed for a drought. Just not during your visit.

I do mostly shore diving but cheat and use a scooter or kayak.

Do you have a hotel in Monterey yet?

Not sure if you have heard about the Monterey Bay Aquarium, but you might want to put it on your to do list. Monterey Bay Aquarium: Home Page

Edit: Adding in some links for pics in case you wanted to get excited about what the diving here holds in store.
http://coldwaterimages.com/
http://coldwaterkitty.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
HP 100's or LP 95's are what I usually use, but the stuff weighs less and takes up less space if I take a single tank plat e and wing (one reg, AL plate, smaller wing, etc). I have weight pockets on my travel plate so almost any weight works as long as it is lead.

If I bring my single tank wing, I could also bring my Phoenix double hose as it does not get used much anymore as I am mostly in doubles on offshore wrecks or in Fl caves. It makes for a fun change of pace.

I have reservations in Santa Rosa, but can cancel them on Friday/Saturday if staying in Monterey works better.

In terms of dive logistics, I did the buoyancy math for swapping my doubles and SS plate with drysuit for my travel plate and Peter C's single 100 cu ft steel tanks or rental AL 80's and would need to rent 16 lbs of lead for the steel or 22 lbs for the AL 80. So I'd need some advice on where to acquire what I need.

Let me know what works best for all involved and I am fine with either boat or shore diving.

No need to rent, I have more soft and hard lead than you could possibly need. I assume a belt? I have belts for soft weights, too.

After much negotiation with the travel gods to get a flight that does not require me to cancel half my Friday agenda, I got a flight that leaves 3 hours later but arrives in Monterey on Friday evening, not Sacremento or Santa Rosa. (Insert a "Gosh it is an inconvenience but I'll take one for the team and accept it" response).

So the good news is that I now have a couple options.

1. I can spend the night in Monterey Friday night and be ready bright and early Saturday - but would require a ride "home" to Santa Rosa on Saturday or Sunday - pretty much whether the weekend gets blown out or not, or

2. I can go with the rest of the evaluation team to Santa Rosa and hop a ride back to Monterey Saturday morning to go dive. It would not be ride/weather dependent so no one woudl need to give me a ride anyway of the trip does not happen.

In terms of dive logistics, I did the buouynacy math for swapping my doubles and SS plate with drysuit for my travel plate and Peter C's single 100 cu ft steel tanks or rental AL 80's and would need to rent 16 lbs of lead for the steel or 22 lbs for the AL 80. So I'd need some advice on where to acquire what I need.

As of now, I could drive down and dive either Sat or Sun (but not both), so if you want to stay in Monterey Fri night I could give you a ride back to Santa Rosa either day. Even if conditions/weather prevent us from diving, Monterey is a beautiful place to be and the aquarium is the next best thing to being underwater. Just let me know what you decide.

Well, conditions weren't great for diving but we had a good time at the aquarium and beautiful weather for a nice drive home along the coast.

Sorry you didn't get to dive Larry but I enjoyed meeting you and showing you some of the sites. I hope you and Marci (sp?) get a chance to make it out here and actually get some diving in. :D

Here are some of my pics from the day.

Monterey Aquarium Day - a set on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom