C-Card Traditions --> what are yours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Why would a dive instructor encourage drinking? What if the new divers is a recovering alcoholic? Sounds like a sick system.

downing a beer doesnt mean your an alcoholic, doesnt mean your encouraging drinking either. you dont drink a couple of beers after a hard days work? were just having fun, you dont have to drink it you know. thats some scenario you conjured up.

When we give our students their c-cards we also present them with a laurel, and hearty handshake. :D

BTW, I'm with you on this, Walter.

Before this escalates into drama, keep in mind that in the Philippines the diving community is very small and tight knit. Everyone knows everyone around here or are separated by only 2 degrees. So why would a diving instructor encourage drinking? It is very common to bond with our diving instructors over a beer or two. Besides, drinking is a favourite past time here.

They would, of course, never encourage it before diving or whenever it is dangerous to do so. That would be irresponsible.

EDIT: usually I'm the one who buys the beers for my dive instructor/DM (plus my dive buddies). So maybe I am the one to blame more than my dive instructor.

PS I wish I got a laurel...

chip104:
Before this escalates into drama, keep in mind that in the Philippines the diving community is very small and tight knit. Everyone knows everyone around here or are separated by only 2 degrees. So why would a diving instructor encourage drinking? It is very common to bond with our diving instructors over a beer or two. Besides, drinking is a favourite past time here.

They would, of course, never encourage it before diving or whenever it is dangerous to do so. That would be irresponsible.

EDIT: usually I'm the one who buys the beers for my dive instructor/DM (plus my dive buddies). So maybe I am the one to blame more than my dive instructor.

PS I wish I got a laurel...
hey im one of your dive buddies!!! beer beer beer.....

isang san mig, coming right up sir! :)

or should I make that four sir?

One of the times I get the urge to drink is when I think of all the money I've spent on stupid plastic cards but I never thought of making a drinking game out of getting the card. Maybe I've led a sheltered life but in my time around diving and the dive industry I've never witnessed any such ceremonies surrounding the distribution of c-cards. Mine always came in the mail as did my those of my students. I also never cared for the idea of making students come back to the store by having the agency send the card to me. You all realize that this is the instructors choice don't you? It's mostly used as a marketing tool...insurance that the student is comming back at least once. I have at times used the option as a convenience to students who were in the process of moving and were worried that their card would have trouble catching up with them.

I'm with Walter on this one. Not that I'm apposed to a drink here and there (as any one who knows me will tell you) but as a former instructor I would not have thought the drinking game thing was a good idea.

My initiation was terrible.
Had to french kiss the postal employee.
Thank god she's a woman.
But, she looks like Cliff Clavin.
Drank heavily afterwards.
:05:

scubajcf:
My initiation was terrible.
Had to french kiss the postal employee.
Thank god she's a woman.
But, she looks like Cliff Clavin.
Drank heavily afterwards.